Manager, Carbon Finance and Transactions
Arlington, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Manager, Carbon Finance and Transactions
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
The Manger, Carbon Finance & Transactions will support CFD in executing carbon credit transactions primarily with corporations that are interested in supporting Natural Climate Solutions as part of their broader climate change mitigation strategies. This role will support our growth in providing sustainable finance to our increasing number of carbon credit projects that already exist, as well as those that are in the CFD/Carbon Fund pipeline. The key function will include working within the Carbon Finance team to ensure we can efficiently transact carbon credits, negotiating carbon credit transactions, and ensuring key cultivation and stewardship of the institution's clients that are providing revenue to these projects through the retirement and transfer of carbon credits. The Manager will report to the Sr. Director for Conservation Finance & Carbon Transactions and play an important role working within the Carbon Finance as well as other teams within CFD and CI, including the CFD legal and finance teams, Natural Climate Solutions Center, and Grants Management.
The key role of the position includes establishing an effective process and management structure to ensure the efficient movement of the carbon credit transaction process primarily associated with the processing of carbon credit retirements from corporate clients. In addition to the process associated with completing the transaction, the Manager will also support the development of specific marketing plans for new conservation carbon projects that are under development. In addition, the Manager will support the cultivation & stewardship process with clients to ensure timely information is shared on project updates, as well as reporting. Finally, the Position will also engage in technical support around ensuring we are able to share due diligence-related information associated with the carbon credit projects to demonstrate assurance for the project’s credibility, credentials, and impact on climate change mitigation as well as biodiversity & community development.
- Managing the complete carbon credit transaction pipeline linked to both internal and external processes for the closing of transactions related to carbon credit projects. This will include but not be limited to: directly negotiating with clients/partners associated with carbon credit transactions, ensuring information flow between internal teams; tracking prospects; correspondence with clients to ensure transaction process movement and timely follow-up.
- Managing technical reporting for supporters of Natural Climate Solutions/carbon credit projects. This will include but not be limited to: working with project-field teams to develop technical reporting on project attributes; writing content based on technical project information for current and potential clients; supporting the development of a relevant tracking system to easily share key data points related to projects.
- Creating marketing plans for conservation carbon projects under development and working with the relevant design staff to assure high-quality collateral materials for the projects. This will also include writing project information associated with existing conservation carbon credit projects for internal and external audiences (e.g. fact sheets, presentations): Including leading content creation with graphic design staff; writing and editing content for maximum impact; responding to needs from current and prospective clients on project information; support in responding to RFPs related to carbon credit opportunities.
- Managing the due diligence process and ensuring timely documentation for Natural Climate Solutions/carbon credit projects for distribution to clients. This will include but not be limited to arranging technical details associated with specific projects; coordinating approach for due diligence related materials to meet the needs of specific clients.
- This position is based in Arlington, VA (or remote).
- Office environment with limited travel.
- Our Arlington, VA office is officially open. Guidance on hybrid or remote work schedules will be discussed during the interview process.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and our community, all US-based Conservation International staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices. Effective January 4, 2022, new hires will be required to provide proof of full vaccination with a government-approved vaccine as a condition for employment. Requests for reasonable accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious reasons will be considered. Candidates are NOT required to state their COVID-19 vaccine status in their application.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university.
- 4-6 years of related work experience.
- Knowledge of climate change issues and specifically carbon credit markets.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (PowerPoint and Excel).
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Spanish language skills.
- Ability to juggle and prioritize several tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated interest in nature conservation, human development, or conservation finance.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled