Arlington, VA, United States
20 days ago
Conservation International protects nature for the benefit of humanity. Through science, policy, fieldwork, and finance, we spotlight and secure the most important places in nature for the climate, biodiversity, and for people. With offices in 30 countries and projects in more than 100 countries, Conservation International partners with governments, companies, civil society, Indigenous peoples, and local communities to help people and nature thrive together.
POSITION SUMMARY - This position is based in Arlington, VA
The position provides support as needed to the Conservation Finance Division’s (CFD) legal team. CFD is the division at CI that provides financing to support field-level conservation and ensure economic benefits to local communities. CFD operates through a number of programs, including Conservation International Ventures, Long-Term Finance (LTF), Innovation and Replication, and Carbon Finance. LTF finances the creation, expansion, and long-term management of priority areas for conservation. Current initiatives include support for the Blue Nature Alliance, a multi-stakeholder partnership to advance large-scale ocean conservation. Conservation International Ventures is an impact investment fund that will provide support to enterprises whose business activities have the potential for environmental impact. Carbon Finance works with CI country programs and partners to develop and manage projects offering natural solutions to climate change while generating revenue from carbon emissions reductions. The Innovation and Replication program supports CI's institutional priorities by creating or identifying new conservation finance business or investment models as tools to increase debt or equity investment in natural capital.
CFD Legal Assistant Duties
Support the work of CFD legal advisors. Specific duties include:
- Preparing, reviewing, proofreading, and editing non-disclosure agreements, grants, loan,s and other transaction documents.
- Assisting with both internal and external processes for the closing of transactions.
- Conducting legal research.
- Organizing and taking accurate minutes of certain meetings.
- Conducting legal due diligence on borrowers and related projects for Conservation International Ventures.
- Conducting legal due diligence on partners and environmental fund managers for the Long-Term Finance team.
- Conducting legal due diligence on partners and carbon rights for the Carbon Finance program.
- Preparing initial drafts of certain carbon credit legal transaction documents.
- Assisting with the contracting of vendors and leading the disbursements to vendors as needed.
- Maintaining contact with other CI departments, local counsel, and grantees.
- Providing support in the retention of local counsel (researching local firms, drafting requests for proposals, drafting requests for proposal charts to compare the various firms).
- Providing administrative support to the legal team (assist with expense reports, travel arrangements, etc.).
- Coordinating technical reporting and deliverables for LTF projects and CIV/CFD investments.
- Handling sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Researching topics related to conservation finance; and Ad-hoc project assignments.
- Typical office environment working conditions; telework, as necessary.
- For the health and safety of our employees, their families, and our community, all US-based Conservation International staff are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. This mandatory vaccine requirement applies to all staff working remotely, in a hybrid work arrangement, and on-site in CI US offices. CI follows CDC recommendations for COVID-19 vaccines. Requests for reasonable accommodations or exceptions related to medical or religious reasons will be considered. Candidates are NOT required to state their COVID-19 vaccine status in their application.
- 2 to 4 years of experience.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills are essential.
- Ability to keep track of documents and track the progress of project activity.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Spanish proficiency (speaking and writing).
- Ability to juggle and prioritize several tasks, flexibility, and friendly personality.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year university.
- French and/or Portuguese language skills.
- Demonstrated interest in nature conservation, human development, or conservation finance.
- Interest in pursuing a legal career.
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled