Senior Communications Associate, Public Affairs
San Francisco, CA, United States
18 days ago
About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services, we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
About our Team
Climate change is one of the defining issues of our time – impacting our health, our safety and our livelihoods now and for generations to come. Despite growing awareness and increased public mobilization on this issue, we are not yet on track to contain this threat. But we can be. Humanity has the solutions and the pathways to end this crisis, and collectively we can make this decade be the one for climate action.
Sounds compelling? We think so too. The Marketing and Communications team at ClimateWorks Foundation has a key role to play in building awareness, generating funder interest, and promoting philanthropic collaborations that can help end the climate crisis. We’re a small but mighty team, working to expand the organization’s impact, outreach, and engagement to funders, partners, and grantees globally.
We’re looking for a media-savvy senior communications associate for public affairs who is passionate about working to end the climate crisis and create a safe, equitable, and sustainable future. This is a new role, reporting to the public affairs director.
In this role, you will be responsible for media monitoring of major trends and planning and execution of PR programs and initiatives. You will work as a thought and action partner with members of the marketing and communications team, ClimateWorks Global Programs and Services teams, and ClimateWorks executives to craft and implement PR programs with philanthropy, climate, and other trade press as well as general business, national, and local outlets. Your role will help to ensure consistent messaging and support handling of crisis communications issues with a focus on managing a message and driving narratives within a 24/7 news cycle.
Successful candidates will be adept at delivering external communications strategies to build thought leadership, enhance and protect an organization’s brand and reputation, and position subject matter experts as luminaries whose commentary strengthens the ClimateWorks brand. As a public relations professional, you thrive at storytelling, building relationships with journalists, and proactive story placement.
- Media monitoring, reporting, and analysis.
- Pitching ClimateWorks news, programs, services, and grantees to media.
- Developing and implementing strategic PR plans and editorial calendars.
- Counseling teams and executives on media relations opportunities, including interview preparation, briefing documents, and best practices.
- Writing press releases, statements, opinion pieces, blogs, talking points, messaging, and other content creation as needed.
- 5-7 years of experience in public relations, agency or in-house.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to work with internal clients as well as external partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and project management skills.
- Attention to detail and excellent organization.
- Possesses a positive team-player attitude and approaches problem-solving with humility, curiosity, and a growth-oriented mindset.
- Ability to adapt to change and work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- The ideal candidate will be ambitious, creative and media oriented, with a passion for climate action and solutions (both technological and people-centered).
- A commitment to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently (both virtually and in-person) with minimal supervision.
- Experience working on political campaigns, social impact issues, building data PR programs, or grassroots communications.
- Experience working with global media outlets / international journalists preferred.
- Understanding of major and emerging social media channels and digital platforms, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, etc., a plus.
- Familiarity with AP Style
- BA degree preferred.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This position is classified as US Flexible. Exceptional candidates can work from the SF office or from other locations, geographic differential applied to compensation based on local cost of labor.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at ClimateWorks Foundation and as such we are committed to creating a diverse and multi-cultural work environment. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment.
ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to complying with all laws protecting qualified individuals with disabilities, as well as employees’ religious beliefs and practices. This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment. ClimateWorks Foundation will provide a reasonable accommodation for any known physical or mental disability of a qualified individual and/or employees’ religious beliefs and practices, as required by law.
If you require an accommodation, please notify Human Resources. Once ClimateWorks Foundation is aware of the need for an accommodation, it will engage in an interactive process to identify possible accommodations.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and 2 writing samples (press release, PR plan, or opinion piece). This position will remain open until filled.
Employment at the ClimateWorks Foundation is at-will.