About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services, we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
Department Summary – Development Department
Led by the Vice President for Development, the Development team at ClimateWorks leads fundraising for the organization and supports efforts to generate funder interest in climate mitigation generally. The Development team works to build strategic relationships with key funders in climate mitigation to support the top climate solutions and introduces new funders to opportunities in climate philanthropy. The team works closely with ClimateWorks Executive, Finance, and Programs teams, the Climate Leadership Initiative, and regional climate foundations.Job Summary
The Development Manager is responsible for managing and supporting all of the development activities for a portfolio of programs. The Development Manager will implement engagement strategies that support the cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation of donors. This position reports to the Director of Development, Programs, and will collaborate with both ClimateWorks staff and external colleagues to help increase and expand grantmaking revenue for ClimateWorks and the field. The Development Manager will be resourceful and demonstrate initiative to help advance the Department’s goals.
- Manage a portfolio of programs at ClimateWorks and lead on all development activities related to portfolio. This includes the following key areas of work:
- Leading and supporting engagement strategies that support the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors to deepen relationships with existing partners and expand the number of new philanthropic partnerships.
- Leading the process to design and prepare compelling concept notes, proposal, reports, and other customized content that support development activities.
- Managing the submission process for concept notes, proposals, reports, and additional content for funding partners.
- Supporting internal preparation for donor meetings in portfolio, including coordinating with relevant parties involved in meetings, creating agendas, preparing content in advance.
- Preparing contact reports of relevant donor conversations, meetings, and events.
- Maintaining familiarity with program content, goals, and objectives, as well as organization-wide goals.
- Develop and implement annual/multi-year funding plans to maintain and expand philanthropic support of portfolio of programs (Working in partnership with the Director of Development, Programs, the Vice President, Development, and program directors).
- Work closely with the Development Operations team to ensure that data and information related to fundraising activities is properly entered and updated in Salesforce CRM.
- Manage coordination with ClimateWorks’ Programs and Finance teams to track progress against grant activities/outcomes, review grant awards, and report on grant expenses for assigned programs.
- Closely collaborate with Development team colleagues and contribute to overall team strategy and growth.
- 5-7+ years of experience in a fast-paced development/fundraising role.
- Demonstrated success implementing donor engagement strategies and producing high-quality and compelling written content, including proposals, reports, concept notes, and other strategic content for donors.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Must be able to interact effectively with donors, executive team, management, and colleagues at all levels.
- Ability to gather information and work in collaboration with multiple teams to meet deadline-driven deliverables.
- Strong critical thinking, research, analytical, and organizational skills. Ability to handle sensitive matters with discretion, as well as an understanding of donor confidentiality.
- Excellent project management skills with strong attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize working on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting internal and external deadlines.
- Proven experience using CRM (customer relationship management) databases to track/record development activities.
- Willingness to take initiative, problem-solve, and work cross-functionally with colleagues and across departments to support short-term and long-term Development and organizational goals.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently (both virtually and in-person) with minimal supervision.
- Commitment to ClimateWorks’ mission and values.
- Commitment to a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Previous experience/knowledge of climate/environmental issues.
- Experience with Salesforce.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
Salary Range: $95,000 - $110,000 annually ***ClimateWorks strives to create an equitable culture of transparency and fairness.
ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This position is classified as US Flexible. Exceptional candidates can work from the SF office or from other locations, geographic differential applied to compensation based on local cost of labor.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at ClimateWorks Foundation and as such we are committed to creating a diverse and multi-cultural work environment. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment.ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to complying with all laws protecting qualified individuals with disabilities, as well as employees’ religious beliefs and practices. This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment. ClimateWorks Foundation will provide a reasonable accommodation for any known physical or mental disability of a qualified individual and/or employees’ religious beliefs and practices, as required by law.
If you require an accommodation, please notify Human Resources. Once ClimateWorks Foundation is aware of the need for an accommodation, it will engage in an interactive process to identify possible accommodations.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
Employment at the ClimateWorks Foundation is at-will.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package:
Multiple options available through Kaiser & UHC
- HMO - 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- POS - Employee pays difference beyond HMO coverage (3 out of 4 POS options are at 100% coverage for employee and dependents)
- Dental –100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Vision – 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Fertility care through Carrot Fertility. Access to on-demand doctor-approved content, pregnancy support, and virtual chats with medical, legal, and regulatory experts.
Disability Benefit (long and short-term)
Life Insurance (3x base salary up to $750k for employee only)
- 20 days (1st year)
- 25 days (2nd - 8th year)
- 30 days (9th year)
- 11 Observed and 2 floating
- After 6 months of service, CWF automatically contributes 9% of gross earnings per pay period to retirement fund*
- After 6 months of service, CWF matches 100% of employee contributions up to a max of 6% of gross earnings per pay period*