Associate Director, Global Intelligence
San Francisco, CA, United States
30+ days ago
Associate Director, Global Intelligence
About ClimateWorks Foundation
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services, we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grant-makers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
ClimateWorks’ Global Intelligence identifies high-impact opportunities for philanthropy to enable deep cuts in greenhouse gas emissions. By applying our experience, expertise, and analysis to unique datasets on climate and philanthropy, we help individuals and organizations work with the speed and scale that the climate crisis requires. We work alongside a global network of funders, grantees, researchers, and other partners to build unique datasets that shed light on how philanthropy can have the greatest possible impact on alleviating the climate crisis. ClimateWorks’ Global Intelligence supports funders at every stage of their climate giving journey, from learning about the basics, to identifying opportunities, taking decisive action, and tracking progress. In addition to supporting climate funders, Global Intelligence also supports researchers and climate-focused NGO networks to access cutting-edge data and tools, convene stakeholders, generate insights to serve the climate community, and take action.
Under the direction of the Director, Climate Philanthropy and in close partnership with other departments, the Associate Director, Global Intelligence will work with ClimateWorks Global Intelligence and senior staff to design, compile, and maintain historic, current and future looking databases and information related to climate philanthropy. They will participate in the development and ongoing management of an integrated landscape of philanthropic datasets, and support ClimateWorks Foundation and other climate mitigation funders with rigorous quantitative analysis and visual display of data.
The Associate Director, Global Intelligence will also work closely with the Systems and Planning team, helping design and implementing initiatives to improve ClimateWorks’ internal database and data process, identifying opportunities for efficiencies, and supporting the design of additional systems and best practices around data protocol and confidentiality.
They will manage junior staff and potential contractors to support projects, and work collaboratively with other intelligence asset and product owners across departments to develop a set of compelling, integrated, and clearly positioned products that meet the information needs of key audiences.
The Associate Director, under the guidance of the Director, will engage with a variety of funders and other partners to understand their strategies, budgets, and issues that ClimateWorks’ intelligence services can help solve. As such, this is a unique opportunity to represent ClimateWorks both internally and externally and the individual must be professional and comfortable in front of funders and high-level partners, and have good judgment and excellent communications skills in dealing with a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
- Together with the Climate Philanthropy team and contractors, manage specialized database, including assuring implementation of best practices, impeccable quality of database and outgoing work products
- Supervise and/or manage data collection of new and existing funders or prospects, including identifying, obtaining, and processing data
- Creatively identify, source, and incorporate new strategic climate- and philanthropy-related datasets as needed to help deliver targeted, data-supported insights to a community of climate funders
- Maintain the security and confidentiality of sensitive data
- Together with junior staff, provide real-time analytical support for high level funder discussions and respond efficiently to stakeholder requests for information through production of custom analytics, reports, and infographics using tools including Excel, QlikSense, Tableau, and Salesforce
- Support the development of data-supported findings and recommendations relevant to foundations working to end the climate crisis
- Prepare briefings, background notes and presentations as needed for the senior leadership team and other climate mitigation funders on assigned topics
- Create public reports based on analysis of CWF’s assets
Product Strategy & Project Management
- Participate actively on adapting ongoing data architecture processes and governance for scale
- Collaborate with other intelligence asset/product owners across departments at ClimateWorks to develop an integrated and efficient asset, product, and service strategy
- Develop and maintain transparent and efficient processes
- Recommend and implement tools and systems to support and streamline Funding Landscape processes
- Create strong, positive relationships with internal and external partners to support and grow the ClimateWorks Global Intelligence function
- With the Director, build relationship with new funders and maintain relationship with key partners
- Collaborate effectively and regularly with internal colleagues in numerous teams on various projects
- Supervise one staff; proactively nurture staff talent through co-construction and management of performance goals, providing ongoing constructive and formal annual performance feedback, and co-creating and implementing professional development plans
- Oversee contractors as needed
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
Multiple options available through Kaiser & UHC
- HMO - 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- POS - Employee pays difference beyond HMO coverage (3 out of 4 POS options are at 100% coverage for employee and dependents)
- Dental –100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Vision – 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Fertility care through Carrot Fertility. Access to on-demand doctor-approved content, pregnancy support, and virtual chats with medical, legal, and regulatory experts.
Disability Benefit (long and short-term)
Life Insurance (3x base salary up to $750k for employee only)
- 20 days (1st year)
- 25 days (2nd - 8th year)
- 30 days (9th year)
- 11 Observed and 2 floating
- After 6 months of service, CWF automatically contributes 9% of gross earnings per pay period to retirement fund*
- After 6 months of service, CWF matches 100% of employee contributions up to a max of 6% of gross earnings per pay period*