Associate Director, Global Energy Transition Initiative (Southeast Asia)
San Francisco, CA, United States
13 days ago
About ClimateWorks Foundation
ClimateWorks is a global platform for philanthropy to innovate, collaborate, and accelerate climate solutions that scale. We partner with leading funders in the climate mitigation space, working with broad networks of international NGOs, in-country civil society organizations, and research institutions to dramatically escalate climate solutions. Through our Global Programs and Services, we have helped grow climate philanthropy to where it stands today, by equipping philanthropists with the knowledge, networks, and strategies to drive climate solutions and by building the infrastructure and networks to execute progress.
Our overall work falls into three core functions:
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grant makers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
About Global Energy Transition Initiative
The CWF Global Energy Transition Initiative (formerly named: Clean Energy, Clean Air Initiative) is a customized partnership between Bloomberg Philanthropies and ClimateWorks with a single mission: to deliver high-impact and immediate actions to drive a country-level transition from coal to clean energy that is in line with the global 1.5° C pathway. This Initiative collaborates with philanthropies and partners/grantees to advocate for and implement high ambition solutions to accelerate the coal to renewable energy transition in East Asia, Southeast Asia, Australia, South Asia, and Eastern Europe. Starting in mid-2022, this initiative is expanding its energy transition partnerships to include grantees in Africa and Latin America.
The Global Energy Transition Initiative is collaborating across a broad spectrum of stakeholders: from civil society, governments, companies, financial institutions, citizens, youth groups and local community. With key partners from these countries/regions, The Global Energy Transition Initiative aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Shape and implement robust country-specific coal phase-out and renewable-based electricity transition pathways in line with the global 1.5° C scenario.
- Leverage international and regional initiatives to scale-up renewable energy investments and coal early retirement in developing economies in the regions noted above.
- Advance open-source data, policy research, and analytics to inform and empower the energy and climate community and strengthen countries’ and non-state actors’ net-zero accountability.
To achieve these objectives, The Global Energy Transition Initiative collaborates with Bloomberg Philanthropies, grantees, aligned regional/in-country philanthropic foundations, and other partners to deliver five implementation strategies, including (1) policy advocacy; (2) civil society coalition building; (3) data and analytics; (4) supporting enabling environment for clean energy pilot projects deployment; and (5) identifying finance mechanisms to support a just energy transition for coal early retirement.
We are looking for an Associate Director, based in Southeast Asia to join the Global Energy Transition Initiative. They will lead Global Energy Transition Initiative’s Asia energy transition component, expanding Asian-based partners, and collaborate and coordinate with other regional energy transition works under Global Energy Transition Initiative.
Strategy development and execution
- Will lead the country-specific energy transition strategy development, focusing on the emerging markets and developing countries in Asia.
- Stay adaptive and agile to the strategy implementation, taking into account the dynamic of political, economic and technological opportunities exposed to the priority countries.
- Foster the strategic synergies and collaboration with other regional/country energy transition under the Global Energy Transition Initiative, and other ClimateWorks Foundation Sectoral Programs.
- Collaborate with Bloomberg Philanthropies’ International Energy Transition Team on strategy development and alignment.
- Collaborate with regional/country-leads from the Bloomberg Philanthropies on strategy execution.
- Advise funders on political, economic, industrial and technology developments and trends that are pertinent to energy transition in Southeast Asia countries.
Partnerships and Stakeholders Management
- Develop and explore new partnerships with global, regional and country-level organizations and regranting organizations.
- Collaborate with Initiative Director, ClimateWorks China office, and ClimateWorks country-level works to identify synergies and collaboration opportunities in the energy transition / climate mitigation.
- Engage other philanthropic organizations, whenever strategy is aligned.
- Convening, coordination and collaboration with a wider range of public and private sector stakeholders, including government officials, development finance institutions, private sectors, regional organizations, and inter-governmental organizations.
Grant-making, pipeline development and grantee portfolio management
- Identify new/prospective grantee partners, and develop grantee pipelines.
- Manage the Asian-based energy transition grantee partners, developing an end-to-end grant management process, from request for proposal, review and comment, to regular reporting.