Interim Finance Manager
28 days ago
About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: We provide Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
The Interim Finance Manager is a member of the Finance team, performing financial planning, analysis, and budgeting for funder proposal development. They will also contribute to the team’s grantmaking process reviewing grantees’ financial position and grant budgets. They work in a dynamic environment requiring highly detail-oriented, independent, and professional work. They will provide other support to the Finance team as needed. This position reports to the Director of Finance and Grants Management. This is an interim role with an expected duration of six months from October 2022 to March 2023.
The Finance Manager is responsible for the following duties, and others as assigned.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Developing and maintaining current Programmatic budgets; coordinating with other Departments as a part of the organizational budgeting and planning process
- Drafting incoming funder proposal budgets in conjunction with Development and Program teams; organizing budget meetings, as needed; responding to funder questions regarding submitted budgets
- Contributing to cost recovery analysis and projections in collaborations with the Finance team; maintaining reports related to pricing and cost recovery.
- Contributing to the monthly grant forecast; creating additional charts and graphs in response to specific data requests
- Providing ad-hoc financial analysis and/or analytical support as needed
Grants and Funding Source Administration
- Reviewing grantee financial documents (including financial statements and organizational budgets) to ensure that grantees are financially healthy, flagging any concerns to the grants team
- Reviewing grant budgets to ensure adherence to ClimateWorks and IRS guidelines and consistency with the proposal narrative
- Reconciling funding sources with the accounting team; coordinating no cost extensions with the development team and subsequently updating end dates
- Providing other grants and contracts-related assistance as needed in coordination with the grants team
- Four-year college degree with coursework in Finance or Accounting, or equivalent experience
- At least seven years professional experience including experience in financial planning, modeling, and analysis
- Highly responsible and responsive with a positive attitude
- Collaborative team player, both within the group and across the organization
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excel at working with existing systems and resources while striving towards improvement
- Understanding of basic nonprofit accounting
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Excel; high proficiency with other Windows products, such as Word and Outlook
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Having experience in the following areas is a plus:
- Grants administration
- Adaptive / Workday
- Commitment to the mission of the ClimateWorks Foundation
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This position is classified as US Flexible. If US Flexible: Exceptional candidates can work from the SF office or from other locations, geographic differential applied to compensation based on local cost of labor.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at ClimateWorks Foundation and as such we are committed to creating a diverse and multi-cultural work environment. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment.
ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to complying with all laws protecting qualified individuals with disabilities, as well as employees’ religious beliefs and practices. This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment. ClimateWorks Foundation will provide a reasonable accommodation for any known physical or mental disability of a qualified individual and/or employees’ religious beliefs and practices, as required by law.
If you require an accommodation, please notify Human Resources. Once ClimateWorks Foundation is aware of the need for an accommodation, it will engage in an interactive process to identify possible accommodations.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
Employment at the ClimateWorks Foundation is at-will.