About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services, we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
The Finance & Grants Associate will report to the Finance Manager. The Finance & Grants Associate is a key member of the Finance & Grants team within the larger Finance & Facilities Department at ClimateWorks. The department is responsible for all finance and accounting functions, effective grantmaking, and facilities management, and collaborates routinely with all teams and departments at ClimateWorks.
The Finance and Grants Associate works on the Finance & Grants team, supporting and coordinating grants and contracts administration processes. He/she/they work in a dynamic environment requiring detail-oriented, independent, and professional work. He/she/they will coordinate closely with others on the Finance & Grants Team and the Programs Team (primarily) to ensure smooth dissemination and administration of grants and contracts. He/she/they will provide other support to the Finance team to ensure accuracy of information and to ensure smooth administration of budget and other processes.
The Finance and Grants Associate will be responsible for the following and other duties as assigned:
- Maintaining a funding source tracker in coordination with the Finance Managers
- Contributing to an effective grantmaking forecast and monitoring spend down on ending funding sources
- Working with the team to ensure accuracy of information in ClimateWorks’ budget and reporting system, Adaptive
- Contributing to the work and priorities of the Finance Team, as needed
- Maintaining both up-to-date grant records and organized electronic grant files, ensuring clear and consistent information throughout the system
- Reviewing supporting documents (including budgets on grant submissions and grantee financials) to ensure guidelines are met, collaborating closely with other team members and with grant requesters to resolve issues
- Maintaining robust grantee documentation files, including records of financial review, outstanding reports, and Grants Team communications
- Executing no cost extension requests on current grants
- Contributing to review and approval of grantee financial reports
- Coordinating with program staff on correspondence with grantees as needed
- Providing other grant-related assistance as needed
- Maintaining both up-to-date contract records and organized electronic contract files
- Coordinating with all relevant staff and contractors to ensure proper documentation for contracts, secure approvals, and meet other contract processing needs
- Tracking and monitoring status of contracts and sending reminders to staff according to established policies and procedures
- Coordinating with contract leads and the Accounting team on contract closures
- Completing contract spend down reports and reconciling funding sources across systems with support of the Accounting and Program teams
- Providing other contract-related assistance as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience; course work or work experience in Finance or Accounting
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Familiarity with general accounting and financial principles, including reading financial statements and budgeting
- Experience maintaining a database
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to follow through on open issues and work effectively with a diverse group of staff, partners and vendors in a service-oriented manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Commitment to the mission of the ClimateWorks Foundation
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently (both virtually and in-person) with minimal supervision
- A commitment to a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment
- Experience in the following areas is a plus:
- Grants administration
- Adaptive / Workday
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
Salary Range (Bay Area / NYC): $70,000 - $75,000 annually
Salary Range (Other US): $65,000 to $70,000 annually
***ClimateWorks strives to create an equitable culture of transparency and fairness.
ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This position is classified as US Flexible. Exceptional candidates can work from the SF office or from other locations, geographic differential applied to compensation based on local cost of labor.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at ClimateWorks Foundation and as such we are committed to creating a diverse and multi-cultural work environment. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race (including traits historically associated with race), ethnicity, religion, color, sex (including childbirth, breast feeding, and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniform service member and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, age, protected medical condition, genetic information, disability, or any other protected status in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment.
ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to complying with all laws protecting qualified individuals with disabilities, as well as employees’ religious beliefs and practices. This policy extends to all aspects of our employment practices including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, discipline, termination, promotions, transfers, compensation, benefits, training, leaves of absence, and other terms and conditions of employment. ClimateWorks Foundation will provide a reasonable accommodation for any known physical or mental disability of a qualified individual and/or employees’ religious beliefs and practices, as required by law.
If you require an accommodation, please notify Human Resources. Once ClimateWorks Foundation is aware of the need for an accommodation, it will engage in an interactive process to identify possible accommodations.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
Employment at the ClimateWorks Foundation is at-will.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package:
Multiple options available through Kaiser & UHC
- HMO - 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- POS - Employee pays difference beyond HMO coverage (3 out of 4 POS options are at 100% coverage for employee and dependents)
- Dental –100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Vision – 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Fertility care through Carrot Fertility. Access to on-demand doctor-approved content, pregnancy support, and virtual chats with medical, legal, and regulatory experts.
Disability Benefit (long and short-term)
Life Insurance (3x base salary up to $750k for employee only)
- 20 days (1st year)
- 25 days (2nd - 8th year)
- 30 days (9th year)
- 11 Observed and 2 floating
- After 6 months of service, CWF automatically contributes 9% of gross earnings per pay period to retirement fund*
- After 6 months of service, CWF matches 100% of employee contributions up to a max of 6% of gross earnings per pay period*