28 days ago
About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1 billion in grants to more than 500 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
The Accounting team develops and manages scalable, controlled processes that enable our organization to operate efficiently. The team supports ClimateWorks’ global operations across banking, payroll, expenses, and travel. We provide timely and accurate financial and statutory reporting and ensure compliance with federal and state tax regulations.
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for managing the daily operations of the accounting team, with a focus on process improvement and system scalability to enhance accounting operations. The main functions include general ledger accounting, month- and quarter-end close processing, accounts payable management, payroll processing, managerial accounting and reporting, and audit and tax return schedule preparation. The Accounting Manager will support new initiatives, systems, and controls including the design, implementation and maintenance of process workflows, process solutions, and system implementations. The Accounting Manager will assist with updating and enforcing accounting policies related to accounts payable, payroll, and other operational procedures.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, adept at managing priorities and deadlines, and will have demonstrated success in managing accounting staff. The Accounting Manager will initially supervise two staff and will report to the Controller.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for the following duties:
Accounting, Audit, and Tax Return
- Responsible for the timely month-end and quarter-end close cycles.
- Manage the accounts payable function and review weekly payment runs.
- Process semimonthly payroll, responsible for all payroll journal entries.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of all schedules and reconciliations for the annual financial statement audit.
- Oversee filing of federal and state tax returns, ensure timely and accurate preparation of all schedules and reconciliations.
- Responsible for managing other compliance and statutory filings,
- Assist Controller in maintaining appropriate internal controls for all accounting functions.
Managerial Accounting and Reporting
- Organize financial tracking and reporting systems to accurately track expenses and cost allocations.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports for internal budget managers (for operating departments).
- Assist with financial reporting for ClimateWorks executive team and board of directors.
- Manage process and system improvements.
- Supervise and develop accounting staff by managing performance, setting goals, providing ongoing training, and maintaining strong employee relationships.
- Assist Controller with other accounting and finance projects as necessary.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required.
- CPA, MBA, or MAcc preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software systems. Intacct experience preferred.
- Experience with designing process workflows and improvements, including system implementations.
- Experience in supervising a team.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently (both virtually and in-person) with minimal supervision. A commitment to a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment.
Compensation and Location
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).Location ClimateWorks Foundation is based in the San Francisco Financial District. This position is classified as US Flexible. Exceptional candidates can work from the SF office or from other locations, geographic differential applied to compensation based on local cost of labor.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission.
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender/gender identity, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
Multiple options available through Kaiser & UHC
- HMO - 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- POS - Employee pays difference beyond HMO coverage (3 out of 4 POS options are at 100% coverage for employee and dependents)
- Dental –100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Vision – 100% coverage for employee and dependents
- Fertility care through Carrot Fertility. Access to on-demand doctor-approved content, pregnancy support, and virtual chats with medical, legal, and regulatory experts.
Disability Benefit (long and short-term)
Life Insurance (3x base salary up to $750k for employee only)
- 20 days (1st year)
- 25 days (2nd - 8th year)
- 30 days (9th year)
- 11 Observed and 2 floating
- After 6 months of service, CWF automatically contributes 9% of gross earnings per pay period to retirement fund*
- After 6 months of service, CWF matches 100% of employee contributions up to a max of 6% of gross earnings per pay period*