Senior Associate, China Office
11 days ago
About the Organization
ClimateWorks Foundation is a global organization committed to our mission: to end the climate crisis by amplifying the power of philanthropy. Since our founding in 2008, we have awarded over $1.3 billion in grants to more than 600 organizations advancing climate solutions around the world. We helped grow the field of climate philanthropy to where it stands today, establishing infrastructure, global networks, and momentum for continued growth. Through our Global Programs and Services, we equip philanthropy with global knowledge, networks, and solutions to drive climate progress.
- Scaling solutions: Our collaborative Global Programs — focused on solution areas including carbon dioxide removal, cooling, industry, transportation, and more — produce results that are bending the greenhouse gas emissions curve. From the U.S. to Europe, China, Brazil, and beyond, we collaborate with a diverse community of funders, NGOs, and climate leaders to accelerate just and equitable climate solutions.
- Guiding and supporting funders: Our Global Services provide funders with comprehensive resources to assess, build, evolve, and execute high-impact climate-giving strategies. Our Global Intelligence service equips funders and the climate community with climate insights to pinpoint opportunities for impact and philanthropic insights to help identify investment priorities. We facilitate Global Collaborations that enable funders to increase individual and collective impact. Our Global Grantmaking services enable funders to invest in climate solutions around the world.
- Fostering collaboration, exploration, and growth: Our collaborative approach and commitment to learning ensures that we continuously explore innovative ideas and emerging opportunities — all with the aim of scaling philanthropy-supported initiatives to help end the climate crisis.
As experts in climate science, public policy, economic and social analysis, and strategic philanthropy, ClimateWorks’ staff understands the multi-faceted challenges and opportunities of climate change. We are researchers, strategists, collaborators, and grantmakers who care passionately about our mission. For more information, please visit www.climateworks.org.
CWF Beijing Representative Office is the first regional office that CWF established to further support and advance China’s climate action to achieve the goal of the Paris Agreement and end the global climate crisis. The office will work closely with our international and domestic partners to channel resources to support actions in the key areas including:
- Clean energy transition and accelerating phasing out coal
- Subnational actions to achieve early peaking and carbon neutrality
- Emission reduction in key heavy industry sectors
- Green climate finance
- Capacity building and strategic communication
- Incubation of innovative approach to advance mitigation
The Program Manager provides high-level project support to the work of the ClimateWorks Beijing Office recently established to advance climate action and philanthropy in China. The office will collaborate closely with a number of ClimateWorks programs, including Clean Air Power and Clean Air, Industry, Sustainable Finance, Carbon Dioxide Removal, Clean Cooling and Transportation.
Under the general guidance of the Chief Representative of CWF China Office and direct supervision of the Associate Director, the incumbent will provide substantial supports to develop strategies, identify potential partner and grantee organizations, scope, make and manage grants, support other funders to work in this area, communicate with our network, and build our capacity to deliver emissions reductions.
- Support to develop a comprehensive review of current status and trends of climate actions in China and identify key challenges and opportunities in further advancing implementation of China’s commitment on achieving climate neutrality before 2060.
- Support research and consultation informing the development and refinement of the strategy of CWF Beijing Office.
- Develop portfolio strategy to enhance an enabling environment to accelerate China’s climate actions in specific areas such as climate finance, strategic communications, and field building.
- Identify potential grantees, build relationships, scope fundable projects, and develop a pipeline of grants to support the implementation of the portfolio strategy.
- Work with grantee partners on all stages of the grantmaking process, from request for proposal to reporting.
- Plan program and portfolio budgets and ensure timely disbursement of grants in liaison with relevant departments of the organization.
- Support to develop processes for evaluating impact of the portfolio activities including defining and evaluating metrics for program performance
- Use grantmaking, convening, and collaboration to nurture the ecosystem of groups working in the portfolio area.
- Communicate effectively internally and externally through grant reports and other materials.
- Manage ongoing collaboration and consultation with key stakeholders in China and other funders.
- Provide research, planning, and general support to China office as needed.
- Prepare grant reports, communication materials, and other content as necessary.
- Assist in the planning and execution of events for partners, either virtual or in person.
- Produce high-quality materials on short deadline
- Assist with the management and supervision of support staff as requested
- Other duties may be assigned.
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location).
This position will be based in ClimateWorks’ Beijing office.
Commitment to Racial and Social Justice
At ClimateWorks Foundation, we are driven by our vision of creating a thriving planet for all living beings for generations to come. We aim to foster an inclusive workplace that values diverse lived experiences and emphasizes the voices of marginalized people — especially Black, Indigenous, and People of Color — who are most vulnerable to climate impacts, and whose voices, ideas, and leadership are crucial to winning the climate fight.
To ensure that we are making meaningful progress, we have made a set of diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments across all dimensions of our work to further our mission and realize our vision. For more information, please visit: Fostering Racial and Social Justice in Pursuit of our Mission
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender/gender identity, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.
- Strong program and project management skills based on at least five years’ experience in a relevant role
- BA degree or equivalent (environmental science and/or policy coursework preferred)
- Knowledge of, and experience working with, relevant stakeholder communities – experts, policy makers, funders, implementing partners, etc.
- Ability to understand systems and identify points of power and leverage, with excellent research and analytical skills
- A strong foundation of understanding of climate change, including technical, political, and economic drivers
- Excellent relationship management and collaboration skills
- Resourcefulness, good judgement, and a commitment to excellence and integrity.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize, and multi-task
- Experience with, or aptitude for, managing others, including support staff and interns
- Passion for environmental and social issues
- Experience working in nonprofits or foundations a plus
- Commitment to the mission and values of ClimateWorks Foundation
- Commitment to a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment