Climate Policy Initiative
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
4 days ago
Climate Policy Initiative (CPI) is an analysis and advisory organization with deep expertise in finance and policy. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has six offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
CPI’s Climate Law and Governance program provides decision makers with in-depth analysis of Brazil’s legal and regulatory framework and governance for key climate issues including land use, land rights, infrastructure, energy and mining.
The Brazil office works in partnership with PUC-Rio and runs several economic and legal research initiatives that focus on helping increase the protection of natural resources and food production in Brazil. More information about the Climate Policy Initiative in Brazil can be found at http://climatepolicyinitiative.org/brazil.
CPI offers a challenging environment that requires independent thinking, collaboration, and pragmatic problem solving. The role of Legal Analyst supports the deliverables of CPI’s Climate Law and Governance’s land use, property rights and mining work stream, focusing on issues such as analyzing land tenure governance and legislation, land grabbing problems, jurisprudence related to real state law, socio-environmental flaws in mining regulations, problems related to mining environmental licensing, procedures for granting mining rights, mining in protected areas, consequences of illegal mining etc.
Under the supervision of a Senior Analyst of CPI's Climate Law and Governance team in Rio de Janeiro office, the Legal Analyst will help shape and influence CPI’s strategy and analytical foundation. They will support the design and manage complex research assignments on the governance and legal frameworks of critical land use, property rights and mining issues. In consultation with the Senior Analyst, the Legal Analyst will be expected to deliver high quality outputs on time and within budget. They will build and maintain relationships with governmental agencies and other organizations that work on land use, property rights and mining, provide advice and support to the Senior Analyst.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Implement complex research assignments and analytical projects.
- Perform rigorous evaluation of legislation in force or under discussion on bill proposals.
- Conduct literature reviews including legal, policy and economic publications.
- Monitor lawsuits and bill proposals related to land use, property rights and mining.
- Build and maintain relationships with governmental agencies and other organizations that work on land use, property rights and mining.
- Contribute to writing and editing of high-quality CPI products, including full reports, executive summaries, blogs, and presentations.
- Communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working across other agendas and offices.
- At least 3 years of extensive and progressive professional experience as an environmental lawyer in a policy organization or law firm.
- Experience in environmental litigation, analyzing legislation, legal decisions, judicial cases, bill proposals and/or policy reports is required.
- Experience in academic research is strongly preferred.
- Law degree required. Master's degree or specialization in environmental law, environmental public policy, administrative law, regulatory law or a related field strongly preferred.
Competencies and Personal Attributes
- Experience in applying institutional, governance, and regulatory analysis to provide recommendations.
- Independent, analytical mind with a track record of applying sound legal and strategic judgment to complex issues.
- Analytical mind, creative and with ability to process, analyze and organize multiple information.
- Flexibility, professionalism, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and an ability to interact with a diverse array of people.
- Strong attention to detail, organization, time management, and prioritization skills, and an ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Superior Portuguese and English written and verbal communications skills.
Compensation and Benefits
CPI is hiring for one full-time position, open immediately. The position is located in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Occasional regional travel may be required. CPI in Brazil hires through the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio) and offers competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should click here to submit their CV and application cover letter outlining why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience align with the above requirements no later than July 18, 2022, when short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the next phase of the selection process. We strongly encourage applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, and other individuals who are under-represented in the profession, across color, creed, race, ethnic and national origin, physical ability, gender and sexual identity, or any other legally protected basis.
Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organization. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We want to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are openly valued as critical to the success of our organization and the achievement of our mission and vision.