Junior Analyst, Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance, Brazil Program
Climate Policy Initiative
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 days ago
CPI is an analysis and advisory organization with deep expertise in finance and policy. Our mission is to help governments, businesses, and financial institutions drive economic growth while addressing climate change. CPI has five offices around the world in Brazil, India, Indonesia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
CPI is known as a leader in tracking sustainable investment trends, identifying innovative business models, and supporting the solutions that can drive the transition to a low-carbon, climate-resilient, inclusive economy. We are unique in our focus on finance, our ability to get the right people to the table, and our analytical rigor.
About the Lab
The Global Innovation Lab for Climate Finance (The Lab) is a public-private initiative that identifies, develops, and launches cutting-edge climate finance instruments. It aims to drive billions of dollars of private investment into climate change mitigation and adaptation in developing countries.
Since launching in 2014, The Lab and its initiatives have successfully launched 62 new innovative financial instruments, have been endorsed by the G7 and collectively attracted over USD 3.5 billion through the instruments that were endorsed by the Lab Members.
Over the years the Lab has launched three regional programs of India, Brazil and Southern Africa. Since the launch of these regional initiatives, starting with India in 2015, followed by Brazil in 2016 and most recently Southern Africa in 2019, these regional Labs have been working in parallel with the overall Lab to develop innovative financial instruments or program focusing on the specific geography with the potential to scale-up private sector investment in renewable energy, energy efficiency, climate adaptation, and/or sustainable land-use of climate finance related products.
To continue the successful development of climate finance instruments for the Lab Program in Brazil, the Lab is seeking the services of a talented and motivated consultant at the Junior Analyst level in Brazil to join the Lab Secretariat, Climate Policy Initiative (CPI).
The Lab Jr Analyst will undertake robust and careful analysis, drawing on methodologies from micro- and macroeconomics, public policy, regulatory economics, finance, behavioral science, risk management, statistics, law, engineering, and other academic and commercial disciplines.
The Lab Jr Analyst will work in close cooperation with the Global Finance Lead, Senior Brazil Analyst, and Senior Program Associate to push forward the tasks foreseen for the development of new instruments in Brazil. In addition to analytical work which required strong quantitative and analytical skills, the Jr Analyst will support the communication with a range of national and international partners from the policy, finance, and corporate spheres, as well as with CPI teams in Brazil but also throughout the world.
This position reports to the Lab’s Associate Director.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Perform rigorous quantitative and qualitative evaluation of national and international climate finance mechanisms (e.g. funds, guarantees, debt instruments, pay-for-success, carbon market innovations, credit products, insurance, etc.).
- Under the direction of the Lab Associate Director, Senior Brazil Analyst, and Senior Program Associate, contribute to the design, management, and implementation of complex financial instruments.
- Contribute to advancing the implementation of past Lab instruments in the Brazil context, therefore contributing to work that could entail market assessments and barriers, financial and business modeling, projections, and feasibility studies, among others.
- Analyze the quality of the financial instruments’ ideas submitted to the Lab in relation to Lab criteria (Innovative, Actionable, Catalytic, and Financially Sustainable) – communicating results to CPI staff.
- Engage Lab idea proponents and external stakeholders throughout the research and process distilling findings into concise guidance for Lab Members and stakeholders.
- Assist in the writing and editing of high-quality Lab products, including full reports, executive summaries, blogs, and presentations.
- Communicate and collaborate with CPI staff working around the globe.
- Produce high-quality materials on short deadlines.
- Familiarity with building and analyzing financial models and experience analyzing climate finance, financial data, and/or energy markets and/or sustainable land use.
- Private sector experience, preferably in the financial sector and/or government or multilateral experience is valuable.
- Knowledge of Brazilian policy environment, energy markets, and/or key sustainable land-use and agriculture issues.
- Familiarity with climate finance is strongly preferred.
- BA or BS degree required with coursework in finance, economics, and environmental policy.
- Possession of Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Public Policy, or a related is a plus, or additional 2 years of experience
- Quantitatively rigorous field is strongly preferred.
- Microsoft Office
- Working fluency in English and Portuguese required.
- The consultant must be able to communicate seamlessly in both languages, though for written materials, there will be a strong emphasis on the individual’s comprehension and writing skills in English.
- CPI is seeking the services of a consultant at the Junior Analyst level, in our Rio de Janeiro office, on a contract basis for approximately twelve months, with the possibility of extension into a longer-term role. Possibility for remote work but based in Brazil.
- CPI offers consultants competitive rates, based on experience.
Click here to submit an application. With your application, attach:
- CV in English
- Cover letter in English, outlining why you want to work with CPI and how your skills and experience match the position requirements.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Deadline: Tuesday, January 31st 2023. Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organization. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias.
We want to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are openly valued as critical to the success of our organization and the achievement of our mission and vision.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application. We will then work with you to identify the best way to assist you through the recruitment process.