Head of Legal & Risk Management
Climate Bonds Initiative
17 days ago
Part-time Legal Counsel - 20 hours per week
Are you passionate about climate change and excited to make a real difference?
Are you looking for a role in which the legal work you do really matters?
This is an excellent opportunity for a qualified legal professional to join Climate Bonds Initiative to help us achieve our mission to mobilise the $100 trillion global bond market for climate change solutions.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, you will be the legal expert and provide a professional, comprehensive, and effective legal service across the broad range of our activities.
You will be responsible for ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations, covering a range of topics including data privacy, contract law, commercial law, public law, regulatory law, and employment law, charity law, grant management, corporate structure and licensing.
You will also be required to negotiate, draft, review and finalise a broad range of commercial contracts, identifying and minimising any risks, always ensuring the best interest of CBI.
You are looking for your next step in your career following a successful post qualification experience gained either “in-house” or in a reputable law firm.
You will be a solicitor with significant relevant experience qualified in England and Wales and have an excellent working knowledge of commercial law and the ability to advise and negotiate on a wide range of issues. Experience of the not-for-profit or climate change sector would be advantageous but not essential.
You will have strong technical and communication skills coupled with a positive attitude and an ability to work autonomously and in an agile environment, as well as the motivation to work within a small and proactive team to address new challenges. In your work you will take initiative and you will display a high level of objectivity, reliability, motivation, professionalism, and trustworthiness, with a focus on ethics and integrity.
You will need to be able to set priorities and demonstrate internal/external stakeholder engagement skills to make a positive, professional impact in a complex environment.
As we work globally it would be beneficial to understand international/EU legal requirements and regulations.
This position is fully remote so you can be based anywhere in the UK. We are looking for someone on a part-time basis to work 20 hours a week with flexibility as to how these hours are worked.
What you'll be doing...
- Provide high quality, pragmatic legal advice across Climate Bonds Initiative, supporting all operational activities – handling a range of complex legal issues, including in the following areas: commercial, consumer, contract, employment, licensing, intellectual property, dispute resolution, charity law, procurement, grant management, corporate structure and governance and privacy law
- Work with the Director of Operations in ensuring the effective governance of CBI and its functions, providing expert legal advice on regulatory compliance (including GDPR compliance) and on issues around subsidiaries and corporate governance
- Minimising risk and contributing to the protection of CBI’s assets, including its intellectual property and reputational interests
- Act and perform all relevant duties as CBI’s Company Secretary and otherwise provide legal guidance to the Board
- Maintain an enterprise risk register and work with senior leadership to manage risk throughout the organization
- Provide wise counsel and judgement to the Board and senior leadership concerning legal, governance and risk issues – partner with the board and senior leadership to Climate Bonds Initiative effectively, strategically, and compliantly fulfil its mission
We would love to hear from you if...
- Are qualified to practice as a barrister or solicitor in England and Wales
- Hold a current Practising Certificate issued by the General Council of the Bar or the Law Society
- Have demonstrable experience in drafting and negotiating (e.g contracts); advising on intellectual property and information law in context and including managing dispute
- Can demonstrate sound legal judgement and appreciation of legal risk
- Possess good general advisory skills
- Have previous experience working with Board of Directors
As an organisation we operate at a global level in many ways, as such we take a holistic view of diversity that recognises the different perspectives of people that work or partner with us. We are looking for the very best talent to deliver on our mission to mobilise global capital for climate action, our goal is that we build an inclusive and innovative culture that recognises the uniqueness of our team members and allows them to feel valued and inspired to do their best work.
What we can offer...
- Opportunity to work with global teams on stimulating projects that have a positive impact globally
- Work with Thought Leaders and grow your career
- An open, inclusive and supportive team where everyone is valued and all ideas and suggestions are welcome
- We are a fully remote organisation and flexible employer with a strong emphasis on wellbeing and our culture
- 25 days holiday per year (plus UK public holidays)
- To help you save for your retirement, employees will be auto-enrolled to our carbon-free pension plan when you join
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: £55,000.00-£70,000.00 per year