Agri-food System Standards Manager
Climate Bonds Initiative
London, United Kingdom
10 days ago
Job Title: Agri-food System Standards Manager
Reporting to: Head of Climate Sustainability Standards
Department: Climate Sustainability Standards
Direct Reports: Agri-food System Standards Analyst
Salary: NGO Competitive
Climate Bonds Initiative Mission: Mobilise capital for climate change solutions
Team Mission: Develop and maintain technically accurate, scientifically supported, rigorously defined trusted standards to define what good looks like enabling investors to prioritise investments that deliver climate change solutions.
About the Climate Bonds Initiative
Climate Bonds Initiative is an investor-focused NGO working to mobilise the $100 trillion global bond market for climate change solutions. We promote investment in projects and assets necessary for a rapid transition to a low carbon and climate resilient economy.
Our main work streams are green bond standards and certification, data and market analysis, policy and market development, communications and advocacy.
Climate Bonds is a fast growing, dynamic NGO driven by a big mission. You will be working within an organisation that is leading the development of innovative international climate finance solutions.
Investor demand for sustainable investments is high and this demand can be unlocked to address climate change through the creation of science-based definitions. The Climate Bonds Standard and Certification Scheme is a labelling scheme for financial debt instruments to ensure alignment with the goals of the Paris Agreement on climate change. The Scheme is used globally by bond issuers, governments, investors, and the financial markets to prioritise investments which genuinely contribute to addressing climate change.
Under the CBI Standard are sector specific criteria that outline the requirements for financial instruments to be certified under the scheme. One of these sectors is Agriculture where criteria were first published in 2020 for crops and extended to include livestock in 2021.
The Climate Bonds Initiative is now launching a 3-year program aimed at accelerating the transition of agriculture and food (agri-food) systems toward net-zero, resilient, and sustainable outcomes. Its purpose is to mobilise finance needed for that transition.
This Manager will be responsible for
- Engaging with external experts and fora to build consensus on transition narratives for the agri-food sector that are aligned with a net-zero and resilience targets and compatible with other social and sustainability goals
- Leading expert groups to define (i.e., set science-based eligibility criteria for) the specific transition pathways for the sector, that can be used to screen sustainability-linked bonds and loans, transition bonds, and green bonds financing credible transition assets, activities, and strategies.
The Manager will also work with regional team colleagues to design and execute a market education and engagement programme that encourages more credible investments and supportive policies aimed at transitioning global agri-food systems, with a geographical focus in the EU, US, LatAm, China, and India.
Key responsibilities: *
- Convening the Technical Working Group (TWG) and Industry Working Group (IWG) to drive the development of low-carbon, climate resilient, sustainable agriculture Criteria. Including setting the agenda, troubleshooting the criteria development process, managing external consultant input, overseeing output reports and documentation.
- Maintain the suite of reference and marketing materials, including but not limited to: Background Paper, Criteria Document, Methodology Documents, Brochures, Summary Documents, Powerpoint Slide Decks, and training manuals for issuers and verifiers.
- Supporting the Agri-food Transitions Programme Manager in managing the Expert Panel on Agri-Food Transitions, to be set-up under this programme.
Engagement and Partnerships
- Formalize new partnerships with a range of stakeholders including academic institutions, NGOs, issuers, investors, etc. aimed at educating the market on low-carbon, climate resilient, sustainable agri-food systems
- Identify and engage in external events, conferences, policy forums and meetings related to Agri-fod systems, representing CBI’s goals and building networks and partnerships for collaboration and establish CBI as a thought leader in this space
- Engage in discussions with other Standard setting bodies and platforms related to agri-food finance. Support the Certifications Team by participating in discussions with bond issuers and verifiers to understand the nature of the assets they wish to be certified, and how the green definitions apply to those assets.
Project Management and Fundraising
- Identify funding opportunities and develop proposals to bring in additional resources for Standards agri-food systems related work
- Manage all agri-food system Criteria related projects and report regularly to the Head of Standards on progress, key challenges, and new opportunities
- Provide internal training to other units and country teams on the Criteria and provide regular updates on new developments
Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree or equivalent
- Extensive work experience in a similar or related role on decarbonising and adapting to climate change in agri-food systems
- Understanding of commodity supply chains and the main carbon intensive commodities (incl. livestock, soy)
- Extensive knowledge of the role that agriculture and land use play in both mitigation and sequestration of carbon
- Understanding of climate mitigation and adaptation needs and associated climate change solutions in agri food systems
- Familiarity with the SDG’s
- Good knowledge of how sectoral science-based targets can be applied to assets or companies and of leading initiatives and tools such as Taxonomies which translate climate science and SDG’s to screening criteria for companies or investments.
- Proven ability to manage, coordinate and prioritise across simultaneous projects and ambitious timeframes.
- Skilled people manager – as a line manager and in management of external partner organisations and individuals
- Natural networker, able to bring in partners and collaborators
- An effective communicator proficient in distilling detailed technical information into easily digestible messages and material for a variety of audiences
- Enthusiastic, motivated, organised
- Knowledge of bond markets and/ or wider sustainable finance markets
- Postgraduate studies in a relevant subject
- Other languages
What’s in it for you?
- Impactful responsibilities from the day you join with responsibility for your own learning curve, the role is what you make of it and the possibilities depend on you.
- Amazing opportunities for career progression and structured career development – we’ll work with you to explore your learning development and career potential
- We offer a structured and bespoke induction programme specifically suited to the team you’ll be joining and the specific role you’ll be doing. During your first few months, you’ll be given all the training you need to succeed in your role.
- Opportunity to attend a series of Lunch and Learns, delivered by internal subject matter experts and external guest speakers
- An international and diverse work atmosphere
- The chance to be part of our rapid growth and play a key role in the next exciting phase of Climate Bonds Initiative journey
- Everyone that joins us is given the opportunity to undertake our signature Green Bond training, which is recognised and certified by CPD.
Job Type: Full-time