Climate-Related Risk Senior Associate
16 days ago
Climate Advisers—a respected research and public policy group dedicated to strengthening climate action in the United States and around the world—seeks a Climate-Related Risk Senior Associate to join Climate Advisers’ Orbitas team. Orbitas is a first-of-its-kind, world-leading initiative that has built awareness of the climate-related financial opportunities and risks associated with climate transitions for tropical commodity supply chains that are associated with deforestation, such as soy, beef, and palm oil. See here for examples of past Orbitas and climate-related risk publications. The Senior Associate will be responsible for identifying, quantifying, analyzing, and communicating the risks that companies and investors face from policy, consumer, and private-sector responses to climate change. The successful candidate will support our dynamic Orbitas finance team while gaining exposure and contributing to our cutting-edge work in global climate change research and advocacy. The ideal candidate excels at implementing quantitative, technical research projects and has experience in financial and economic modeling and engaging key financial and business stakeholders. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position reporting to the Director of Climate-Related Risk.
- Conduct economic, financial, and/or geospatial modeling of climate transition risks along tropical commodity supply chains with links to deforestation.
- Contribute to both developing core in-house models/quantitative analysis and defining the technical scope of work for modeling and analytical partners.
- Communicate effectively with external modeling and analytical partners and contractors to coordinate and peer review outputs.
- Support the Orbitas Project Director and provide project leadership as needed.
- Contribute to blogs and other written material on climate-related risks in the forest, food, and land sector, including along tropical commodity supply chains.
- Communicate modeling outputs internally and externally through excellent writing and presentation skills, and tailor communications to financial, government, and corporate audiences.
- Provide thought leadership that improves project outcomes and contribute to project strategy planning discussions.
- Three to five years of relevant experience carrying out economic or financial modeling or working in issues related to investment, climate risk, deforestation, and/or tropical agriculture supply chains.
- Understanding of climate policy and climate transition risks and knowledge of the principal tools used in financial risk analysis.
- Proven quantitative research skills, including experience preparing economic models, conducting financial risk analysis, and/or using geospatial software.
- Experience in independent research and writing.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to be resourceful, take initiative, and be willing to adapt to both qualitative and quantitative project work.
- Ability to manage, prioritize and multi-task on multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to work well as a part of an inclusive team and communicate across cultures.
- Advanced education in a subject that includes economic or financial modeling strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with investor and corporate climate disclosure requirements.
- Knowledge of and experience using global agricultural modeling software like MagPIE and CLUMondo.
- Experience with data visualization software, such as Tableau, Infogram, or DataWrapper.
- Experience with geospatial modeling, such as ArcGIS.
- Ability to communicate in Portuguese, Spanish, Bahasa, and/or French.
- Knowledge of land insecurity issues faced by Indigenous Peoples.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range for this position is $68,000 - $89,000 annually, depending on skills and experience. Climate Advisers offers an excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; employer-paid life, long-term and short-term disability insurance; generous paid time off; and 401(k) plan.
Location: Climate Advisers is a fully remote work environment with the majority of staff concentrated in the Washington, DC area. This role may be performed remotely anywhere in the United States.
To Apply: Submit your resume, cover letter and one writing sample via our careers portal at https://climateadviserstrust.bamboohr.com/jobs
About Climate Advisers
Climate Advisers is a policy, research and advocacy organization working to deliver the post-carbon economy. In the United States and around the world, Climate Advisers creates and implements large-scale, cost-effective strategies to strengthen climate action and improve lives. The organization conducts this work in partnership with leading philanthropies, think tanks, advocacy groups, international institutions, companies, and governments. Climate Advisers offers an award-winning culture that emphasizes transparency, risk taking and collaboration. The organization’s work to reduce emissions from deforestation is its largest practice area. Communicating to investors, financial analysts, and asset managers the material risks associated with climate change is the organization’s fastest growing area of work. Climate Advisers’ traditional core competency and international reputation stems from expertise in climate diplomacy. The organization works in many other areas as well, including aviation, renewable energy, energy efficiency, carbon pricing, supply chains, advocacy campaigns and more.
B Corporation Status
Climate Advisers is proud to be a Certified B Corporation, a new kind of company that meets higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. Learn more about B Corporations at www.bcorporation.net
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy
Climate Advisers is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and strives to select the best-qualified person for each position in the organization. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility to make employment decisions without regard to race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. The organization is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy with respect to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, recruitment advertising, pay and other forms of compensation, training, and general treatment during employment.