Senior Analyst, Carbon Management
Clean Air Task Force
25 days ago
Position Title: Senior Analyst, Carbon Management
Reports To: Global Director, Carbon Capture; Technology and Markets Director
Location: Remote; flexible within the U.S.
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet's atmosphere. Our team of 100+ experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable. CATF is headquartered in Boston, and has offices in Washington D.C. and Brussels with staff working virtually around world.
The Senior Analyst, Carbon Management will work with the wider carbon capture and storage (CCS) team to ensure the reflection of the evolving technical and commercial realities of carbon capture, removal, and storage in evolving climate and net-zero emissions policy, including bridging the gap from demonstration to the deployment of these technologies.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Lead analytical projects supportive of policy development and advocacy: Directly undertake cutting-edge analysis to advance CCS as a decarbonization option
- Support analysis conducted by the Technology and Markets Director and other staff, and oversee analytic work related to policy assessment and advocacy; areas can include policy analysis, economic modeling, and assessment of technology status
- Research: Develop scopes of work for new studies related to carbon capture and direct air capture; lead qualitative research efforts, including stakeholder interviews and economic analysis to identify policy gaps; maintain our databases of carbon capture projects
- Contribute to the thought leadership and expertise on carbon capture technologies and geologic storage
- Development and assessment of policy: Work with the CATF carbon capture team, the advocacy function, other programs and outside groups to develop policies that are effective in scaling up carbon management technologies to the levels needed by the midcentury
- Subject matter expertise: Possess deep familiarity with technical, economic, market, and policy issues related to carbon management, including point source capture and direct air capture
- Collaboration: Work in collaboration with and provide support to the carbon capture team members and other CATF teams as needed
- Operational support: Provide support to fundraising efforts, including grant writing related to analysis work and funder communications related to analysis work
- External communications: Represent CATF in public forums such as conferences, and workshops; develop flagship reports, blogs, white papers, and other expert analysis
- M.S. or PhD in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, environmental engineering, or related fields
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Experience in policy design or analysis
- Work experience in carbon capture project development, direct air capture project development, or related field
- Experience with market analysis
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of carbon capture
- Avid networker skilled at building trust with a wide range of people
- Strong negotiation skills
- Consistent follow-through, and a commitment to high-quality work
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- 4+ years full-time professional experience preferred but candidates with relevant experience who do not meet this threshold are encouraged to apply
- Passion for CATF's mission
Compensation and Location:
This is a full-time, remote position, flexible within the U.S. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.