Senior Policy Manager, Zero-Carbon Fuels
Clean Air Task Force
30+ days ago
Position Title: Senior Policy Manager, Zero-Carbon Fuels
Reports To: Program Global Director, Zero-Carbon Fuels Program
Location: Remote; flexible within Europe
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet's atmosphere. Our team of 100+ experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable. CATF is headquartered in Boston, and has offices in Washington D.C. and Brussels with staff working virtually around world.
CATF's Zero-Carbon Fuels (ZCF) program aims to accelerate the development and deployment of zero-carbon fuels, namely hydrogen and ammonia, to reduce emissions in time to achieve the Paris Agreement's midcentury goals. These fuels have the potential to reduce costs for decarbonizing hard-to-electrify sectors and could unlock additional opportunities for future decarbonization across the wider global energy system. CATF has identified six sectors that are especially challenging to decarbonize, and for which zero-carbon fuels could be particularly advantageous: marine shipping, heavy-duty long-haul trucking, ironmaking, high-temperature industrial process heating, aviation, and long-duration energy storage. CATF is executing on its comprehensive, multi-faceted approach for zero-carbon fuels and within each of these sectors with rigorous analysis, public policy design, public education and advocacy, identification of needed innovation initiatives, and promotion of demonstration projects such as hydrogen hubs.
The Senior Policy Manager will collaborate with the Global Program Director and other senior program staff to develop and promote policy in the EU and member states to expand the role of ZCF in heavy transportation and decarbonize heavy industries, as well as other sectors. This position will reflect on the evolving technical and commercial realities of ZCF and likely including R&D, demonstration, and development programs. International fuels transactions and policies related to fuels GHG accounting will be relevant to the work. The Senior Policy Manager will work as a strategic thought partner with CATF's ZCF Global Director in Europe. The Senior Policy Manager will also lead CATF's ZCF policy staff and work closely with European and EU Governments Affairs and Communications, as well as other CATF's programs such as Carbon Capture and Methane Pollution Prevention.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Engage with EC and EU member states government staff to build support for CATF's ZCF policy agenda for Europe
- Lead CATF's ZCF policy managers team to promote policy in the EU and member states to accelerate the development and uptake of ZCF
- Track key public and private efforts to develop and deploy ZCF in Europe
- Collaborate with other eNGOs, industry and other stakeholders in both policy agenda development, EU and EU member state engagement, and external communications
- Communicate with external audiences in support of ZCF policy agenda, including media appearances and statements, public speaking and presentations in diverse fora, and targeted written communications
- Collaborate closely with CATF government affairs and communications teams on proactive announcements and reactive statements, writing and/or editing comment letters, briefings, fact sheets, and other materials for advocacy meetings, and providing input on press statements, press releases, blogs and other written material for distribution to news media and/or posting on CATF website
- Assist with fundraising, outreach, and providing funders with updates and grant reports
- Partner with organizations to help develop and execute public policy strategies in support of CATF's program goals and objectives in the region
- Track program progress against key performance indicators
- Manage materials vetting, ensuring sign-off by relevant technical, legal, and policy experts
- Collaborate with peers at partner NGOs working on shared projects and campaigns
- A graduate degree or a bachelor's degree with at least 8 years of work experience
- Knowledge of the EU institutions and legislative system
- Successful professional experience in government, industry, and/or civil society organizations
- Proven skills and experience working in a high-functioning team, managing projects with tight deadlines in a collaborative way
- Self-starter who enjoys taking the initiative
- Consistent follow-through, highly organized, and committed to high-quality work
- Strong computer skills, including comfort with the Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Teams
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of any other official European language a plus
- Experience in the civil society or energy sector a plus
- Passion for CATF's mission
Compensation and Location:
This is a full-time, remote position, flexible within Europe. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.