Europe Policy Associate, Carbon Capture
Clean Air Task Force
13 days ago
Position Title: Europe Policy Associate, Carbon Capture
Reports To: Carbon Capture Policy Manager, Europe and Technology and Markets Director, Europe
Type: Full-time position
Clean Air Task Force (CATF) is a nonprofit organization working to safeguard against the worst impacts of climate change by catalyzing the rapid global development and deployment of low-carbon energy and other climate-protecting technologies. This is accomplished through research and analysis, public advocacy leadership, and partnership with the private sector. CATF is highly respected for its deep expertise and research on energy and industrial systems and potential strategies, technologies, and policies that can radically shrink their impact on the planet’s atmosphere. Our team of 100+ experts and advocates (and global network of subject matter experts and civil society partners) put this research and knowledge into action by designing and enacting public policies that drive toward zero emissions. We also support policies and work directly with private industry to innovate in technology to make the path to zero emissions swift and affordable. CATF is headquartered in Boston, and has offices in Washington D.C. and Brussels with staff working virtually around world.
CATF is chartered in the U.S. and Netherlands. CATF operates globally through work with partners in Europe, Asia, Canada, Africa and Latin America, and in multilateral international forums, including COP. CATF is currently expanding its presence in Europe and seeks to strengthen its advocacy and analytical efforts through this hire. Current areas of focus include advancing zero-carbon fuels (particularly hydrogen and ammonia), at scale deployment of carbon capture, removal, and storage, and pushing for public policies to rein in methane pollution from the oil and gas sector.
CATF is one of the leading nonprofit organizations working on carbon capture, removal, and storage policies. Among the successes of its work in the EU, CATF ran a successful campaign to include CO2 transport and storage in the TEN-E Regulation and currently co-chairs the Vision Working Group of the CCUS Forum of the European Commission.
The Policy Associate will support the development and promotion of policy at EU and national levels to deploy and scale carbon capture, removal, and storage technologies that are critical to decarbonize emissions-intensive industries and other sectors. The Policy Associate will work with the wider carbon capture team to ensure the reflection of the evolving technical and commercial realities of carbon capture, removal, and storage in evolving climate and net-zero emissions policy, including bridging the gap from demonstration to the deployment of these technologies.
The Policy Associate will report to the Carbon Capture Policy Manager and Technology and Markets Director. The Policy Associate will also work closely with CATF European government affairs and communications functions, other program leaders and issue experts based in Europe and the United States, as well as European partner organizations to help develop and execute public policy strategies in support of CATF’s program goals and objectives in the region.
Key Functions and Responsibilities:
- Implement CATF’s European carbon capture, removal, and storage strategy, in collaboration with the carbon capture team
- Engage with EU institutions and national governments across Europe (both in the EU, and outside) to build support for CATF’s carbon capture, removal, and storage policy agenda for Europe, which includes communication of our policy platform, as well as policy examples and learnings, particularly from the U.S., and how they have impacted technology development and deployment
- Idea creation of targeted campaigns to change policies at the EU and national level
- Policymaker education
- Mapping and understanding stakeholders (e.g. NGO, unions, industries) positions, as well as outreach and educational meetings, including designing pathways for collaboration and partnerships
- Supporting media education efforts and designing new narratives showing that carbon capture, removal, and storage is real and has positive community impacts
- Track key public policy and private efforts to deploy carbon capture, removal, and storage Europe, with special attention paid to lessons that can be applied to carbon capture, removal, and storage deployment efforts in other global energy markets
- Track policy development and policy intervention opportunities and maintain a wide network of and close contact with policymakers and policy influencers in the space, expand CATF’s reach to these audiences on carbon capture, removal, and storage in Europe
- Identify and understand knowledge and research gaps, and communicate them with the team, and work through fact-based communications efforts through various forums including events, roundtables, briefings, and multimedia communications.
- Collaborate with other NGOs, industry, and other stakeholders in both policy agenda development, policymaker engagement, and external communications
- Support convening of stakeholders and coalition campaigns and take the initiative to launch new campaigns with partners
- Initiate and support the design of creative communications efforts to translate technical aspects of carbon capture, removal, and storage to wide policy-oriented audiences
- Ensure key and regular communication of EU lessons to the rest of the global team, including as relevant to other regions such as the U.S. and Middle East
- Communicate with external audiences in support of the carbon capture, removal, and storage policy agenda, including media appearances and statements, public speaking and presentations in stakeholder forums, and targeted written communications including blogs, factsheets, and social media posts
- Collaborate with CATF government affairs and communications team work on proactive announcements and reactive statements, writing and/or editing comment letters, fact sheets, and other material for advocacy meetings, and providing input on press statements, press releases, blogs and other written material for distribution to news media and/or posting on CATF website
- Advanced degree
- Relevant professional experience in government, industry, academia and/or civil society organizations
- English proficiency, other European language skills a plus
- Background in or knowledge of carbon capture, removal, and storage either in the commercial, advocacy or research area
- Demonstrable passion for CATF’s mission
- Capable of working and collaborating in a virtual office environment; willingness to travel extensively
- Entrepreneurial and self-starting/self-management approach to work requiring minimal supervision
- Experience in advocacy and policy strategy development
- Knowledge of carbon management and related fields
- Familiarity with environmental NGOs in the EU
Compensation and Location:
This is a remote, full-time position flexible within Europe. CATF offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
CATF provides equal employment opportunities.
Job Type: Full-time