Site Engineer - Germany
30+ days ago
With electric vehicles expected to be nearly 30% of new vehicle sales by 2025 and more than 50% by 2040, electric mobility is becoming a reality. ChargePoint (NYSE: CHPT) is at the center of this revolution, powering one of the world's leading EV charging networks and a comprehensive set of hardware, software and mobile solutions for every charging need across North America and Europe. We bring together drivers, businesses, automakers, policymakers, utilities and other stakeholders to make e-mobility a global reality.
Since our founding in 2007, ChargePoint has focused solely on making the transition to electric easy for businesses, fleets and drivers. ChargePoint offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create an all-electric future and a trillion-dollar market.
At ChargePoint, we foster a positive and productive work environment by committing to live our values of Be Courageous, Charge Together, Love our Customers, Operate with Openness, and Relentlessly Pursue Awesome. These values guide how we show up every day, align, and work together to build a brighter future for all of us.
Join the team that is building the EV charging industry and make your mark on how people and goods will get everywhere they need to go, in any context, for generations to come.
Discover what it's like to help build the fueling network of the future - check out our Engineering Blog.
Director, Deployment EU
What You Will Be Doing
This position requires a strong familiarity with the technical aspects of the components of a site including; AC and DC systems, balance of plant or system, electric vehicle supply equipment, and technology used in different types of field projects. The Site Engineer will be an excellent communicator with internal and external stakeholders, a problem-solver and able to manage crises when they arise. The role requires frequent travel to various project sites, taking measurements, aggregating data, interpreting results, and designing solutions during any phase of the project lifecycle. Additionally, the Site Engineer will be required to instruct and manage qualified workers to perform similar tasks as needed.
- Primary focus: onsite and remote commissioning and field remediation – including project management
- Diagnose and resolve issues related to Balance of Plant or Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment using sound engineering principles
- Perform work functions with minimal engineering support
- Correctly categorize site problems and determine sources of issues as site build, design, product quality, or engineering and escalate according to measurements
- Report project status and escalations regularly to stakeholders and initiate prompt and appropriate corrective actions
- Cleary identify and document pass/fail criteria for solutions and contingencies prior to implementation
- Perform the aggregation and review of field quality data with cross-functional teams
- Ensure reliable and uniform quality deployment of all Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Solutions
- Ensure Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment solution compliance to applicable code, practices, policies, and performance standards
- Aggregate project lessons learned and ensure their application for future refinements across organization for planning, commissioning guidance and field remediation
- Perform quality assurance and control tasks during commissioning
- Install, test, commissioning and verify new systems and technology including technical improvements
- Supervise and direct onsite crew
- Communicate with clients to determine needs and explain complex issues
- Draft and submit detailed technical reports
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering from an Accredited Institution or similar qualifications like Meister' or 'Techniker' to install, commission, test and repair AC and DC infrastructure - Current and active regional-based electrical license required.
- 7+ years of practical field experience, troubleshooting and commissioning of electrical systems (PV inverter and/or balance of system or plant preferred)
- Strong proficiency using electrical test equipment including Digital Multi-meter, 3-phase power quality analyzer, insulation tester, and site signal (cellular/WiFi) qualification tool and others
- Working knowledge of program and project management
- Practical knowledge of national standards, codes and regulations
- Practical knowledge of safety standards and ability to observe and verify proper lockout and tagout protocol
- Proven track record in managing multiple projects concurrently and ability to provide remote support to other site engineer team members
- Ability to manage multiple sites and projects concurrently
- Ability to identify and define issues related to software and firmware performance
- Proficiency in Electrical System Communication and Controls
- Perform rigorous physical labor to include the ability to lift in excess of 25 kilograms, work in heights and/or confined spaces, outside work possibly in inclement weather when safe.
- Ability and willingness to be accountable for ChargePoint owned vehicles and equipment.
- German speaker + fluent English required, additional languages a plus
- Travel to various sites on an as needed basis, mainly in Germany, EU in exceptional cases
- Other duties as assigned, or needed.