Senior Manager, Communications and Marketing
Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets
Ceres is a nonprofit organization working with the most influential capital market leaders to solve the world’s greatest sustainability challenges. Through our powerful networks and global collaborations of investors, companies, and nonprofits, we inspire equitable market-based and policy solutions throughout the economy to build a just and sustainable future.
For more information about Ceres, please visit ceres.org.
The Ceres Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets is a center of excellence within Ceres transforming the practices and policies that govern capital markets to reduce the worst financial impacts of the climate crisis. We educate and engage regulators, financial institutions, investors, and other capital market influencers to act on systemic climate-related financial risk. The Accelerator works in partnership with the Ceres Communications and Marketing team who oversees strategic communications, public relations, digital marketing and event support, and more.
For more information on the Ceres Accelerator, please visit: www.ceres.org/accelerator.
Description and Responsibilities
The Senior Manager role leads advocacy communications strategy development and planning, media relations, and messaging and content development on a host of sustainability topics related to our outdated capital market systems. In this role, the Senior Manager is responsible for the development and placement of thought leadership including columns and blogs and supporting high-profile media and speaking engagements including conferences, webinars and briefings. In addition, the role supports the center’s marketing efforts by helping to develop marketing collateral and materials such as one-pagers, pitch decks, program briefs, campaign appeals, as well as and messaging for digital assets including videos for organic and paid social media ad campaigns.
Ceres is looking for a candidate with strong communications and writing experience and superb project management and relationship management skills. This position will report to the Managing Director, Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets with a dotted line to the Vice President, Communications and Marketing.
This role is a full-time position that may work remotely or in the Boston, MA office or San Francisco, CA office. Candidates must be flexible to work with employees in all US time zones.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Create, develop, and support execution of short and long-term communications, media, and marketing strategies for Accelerator for Sustainable Capital Markets
- Develop content expertise on a wide range of climate change issues including how sustainable capital markets play a critical role in accelerating the transition to a sustainable economy
- Support multimedia projects including video scriptwriting, marketing plans, and rollout to key audiences and transform Ceres general messages for specific industry audiences for op-eds/blogs, podcasts, speeches, industry newsletters and other outreach vehicles
- Conduct targeted media relations and outreach to generate uptake in earned news coverage of Ceres’ experts/thought leadership as well as private and public sector leadership and action
- Research, write and edit pitches, press releases, columns and blogs, and other written content, and develop high-quality messaging and content that strikes the right tone and balance
- Work with Ceres media spokespeople to manage on-the-record interviews, provide quotes and statements, author columns/op-eds and editorials, and digital and social media amplification
- Execute media strategies for research reports and initiative rollouts, ensuring coordination internally and with external partners, and consistency in framing, messaging and design
- Identify key events and moments to leverage messaging and content, ensuring activities are coordinated and organized closely together with relevant initiatives, and with Ceres’ overall communications and marketing and events calendar
- Support strategies for paid and unpaid marketing tactics to market reports, resources and tools, campaigns and initiatives
- Support marketing messaging for donor reports, newsletters, program briefs, pitch decks, fundraising appeals, events, and other special projects
- Provide direct writing and speechwriting support for the Managing Director of the Ceres Accelerator and other Ceres experts, as needed
- Work closely with Ceres’ Visual Communications and Design team and external marketing vendors and consultants, as required
- Provide input on website, social media, eCommunity messaging to amplify impact of the Ceres Accelerator across all Ceres’ digital platforms
- Adopt Ceres brand writing, messaging and design guidelines for written content; and follow AP writing style and grammar rules
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism, advocacy or business writing, strategic communications, or marketing, required
- Knowledge of or experience working on environment, finance, energy, water, and/or sustainability or environmental justice issues, a plus
- Experience with producing content and messaging that resonates with various audiences including the investor, business and regulatory
- Highly developed written, verbal, and visual communication skills with keen attention to detail, follow AP writing style and grammar rules
- Experience in thought leadership column writing for an advocacy organization that resonates with key audiences including regulators, investors, companies and the media
- Demonstrated initiative and motivation, and ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Sound judgment and high level of integrity and professionalism, with an ability to manage confidential information and maintain discretion, diplomacy, and courtesy in all contacts
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), other database applications, teleconference and webinar systems and standard e-mail computer applications
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific Ceres’ applications necessary for success: Salesforce, Bloomberg, and others
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed
Compensation: The salary range is $86,000 to $90,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
Join our team by applying to Careers at Ceres. We encourage all applicants to review our website to learn more about Ceres’ goals, mission, and values. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you have questions related to the above or need a reasonable accommodation under the ADA, please contact our ADA Coordinator at ADArequest@ceres.org.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.