Senior Associate, Shareholder Engagement
30+ days ago
Senior Associate, Shareholder Engagement
Ceres is a nonprofit organization working with the most influential capital market leaders to solve the world’s greatest sustainability challenges. Through our powerful networks and global collaborations of investors, companies, and nonprofits, we drive action and inspire equitable market-based and policy solutions throughout the economy to build a just and sustainable future.
For more information about Ceres, please visit ceres.org.
The Ceres Investor Network includes more than 220 institutional investors managing more than $60 trillion in assets. Ceres works with investors to advance sustainable investment practices, engage with corporate leaders, and advocate for key policy and regulatory solutions to accelerate the transition to a just, sustainable, net zero emissions economy.
For more information about Ceres’ networks, please visit ceres.org/networks.
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Associate on the Investor Network plays a key role in Ceres’ work with institutional investors on sustainability issues. This position focuses on coordinating investors who are seeking to improve corporate practices on climate change impacts, science-based emissions reduction targets, transition plans, biodiversity, water scarcity, governance, and other related sustainability issues. Many of the investors are members of the Ceres Investor Network, including state treasurers, pension funds, foundations, socially responsible asset managers, and religious institutional investors.
Ceres is looking for a candidate with strong project management, communication, and coordination skills with interest in working to address the climate crisis. This position reports to the Shareholder Engagement Director.
This role is a full-time position that may work remotely or in the Boston, MA office or San Francisco, CA office. Candidates must be flexible to work with employees in all US time zones.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support investors and working groups who engage companies on issues related to the risks and opportunities of climate change and related sustainability issues
- Work on climate-related engagement priorities, such as conducting research, drafting memos, letters, and other materials making the business case for investor and corporate leadership on climate change and related topics
- Oversee benchmarking of corporate and investor progress on climate-related issues such as science-based greenhouse gas reduction targets, and net zero transition plans
- In coordination with colleagues, organize and facilitate in-person and telephonic group meetings and briefings for investors throughout the year, and manage meeting follow-up
- Assist investors in briefing proxy advisory firms about climate-related shareholder resolutions and director votes
- Support and co-manage systems to track shareholder resolutions publicly and privately
- Help to train and coordinate Ceres programmatic staff across the organization who engage investors in certain campaigns
- Partner with the Senior Director in working with the Communications team to develop media messaging and communications materials, such as reports, press releases and blogs
- Work with the Ceres Communications Team to draft content for the Ceres website and Investor portal
- Oversee portions of Ceres’ Investor Portal content and oversee and assist colleagues and investors in using relevant portions of the portal
- Possibly manage a small portfolio of relationships with Investor Network members using Ceres’ relationship management systems, and support recruitment of new members
- Support the Development Team with content for fundraising proposals, progress reports, and funder outreach
- Participate in Investor Team activities such as weekly meetings, quarterly and annual program reviews, and annual planning meetings
- Support planning and execution of biennial Investor Summit and annual Ceres Conference
- Conduct personal administrative activities
- Organize special projects, as necessary
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience, working in corporate governance for an institutional investor, religious institution, labor movement, or publicly traded company, preferred
- Knowledge of shareholder engagement tactics, including shareholder resolutions
- Sustainability and climate expertise, preferred
- An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets
- Strong meeting facilitation, communication, and presentation skills, including synthesizing research and conceptual work into actionable deliverables
- Demonstrated initiative and motivation, and ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Sound judgment and high level of integrity and professionalism, with an ability to manage confidential information and maintain discretion, diplomacy, and courtesy in all contacts
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), other database applications, teleconference and webinar systems and standard e-mail computer applications
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific Ceres’ applications necessary for success: ReadyTalk, Salesforce, Bloomberg, listserv program, and others
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed
Compensation: The salary range is $58,000 to $60,000 and pairs with competitive benefits .
How to Apply
Join our team by applying to Careers at Ceres. We encourage all applicants to review our website to learn more about Ceres’ goals, mission, and values. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you have questions related to the above or need a reasonable accommodation under the ADA, please contact our ADA Coordinator at ADArequest@ceres.org.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.