Manager, Shareholder Engagement (Just Transition)
30+ days ago
Manager, Shareholder Engagement (Just Transition)
Ceres is a nonprofit organization working with the most influential capital market leaders to solve the world’s greatest sustainability challenges. Through our powerful networks and global collaborations of investors, companies, and nonprofits, we inspire equitable market-based and policy solutions throughout the economy to build a just and sustainable future.
For more information about Ceres, please visit ceres.org.
The Ceres Investor Network includes more than 220 institutional investors managing more than $60 trillion in assets. Ceres works with investors to advance sustainable investment practices, engage with corporate leaders, and advocate for key policy and regulatory solutions to accelerate the transition to a just, sustainable, net zero emissions economy. The Ceres Company Network includes major corporations committed to driving sustainable business leadership by taking action to stabilize the climate, protect water and natural resources, and build a just and inclusive economy. Ceres works with companies to integrate sustainability into corporate decision-making, challenge traditional business practices and collaborate towards systems-level change.
The Just and Inclusive Economics (JIE) work at Ceres is an effort to highlight and address the human impact that climate change has particularly and disproportionately on communities of color, as well as frontline and low-income communities. By hybridizing Ceres’ grass tops advocacy with these communities’ grass roots efforts, we are able to amplify their voices to our investor, company, and policy-maker constituencies, with the hopes of shifting their thinking and approaches to a just and equitable transition. At Ceres, we are working to embed JIE content into all of our work streams across the organization.
Just Transition refers to shifting whole communities, and eventually whole nations, from an extractive political economy to healthy, regenerative economies. These regenerative economies provide dignified, productive and ecologically sustainable livelihoods; protect worker and human rights; promote democratic governance and ecological resilience; and eliminate greenhouse gas emissions and legacy pollution.
For more information about Ceres’ networks, please visit www.ceres.org/networks.
Description and Responsibilities
The Manager on the Investor Engagement Team plays a key role in Ceres’ work with institutional investors seeking to engage companies in priority sectors on a Just Transition. This role will support members of Ceres’ Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability, comprised of more than 200 institutional investors with more than $47 trillion in assets under management, including large asset managers, pension funds, socially responsible investment organizations, and faith-based institutions.
Ceres is looking for a candidate with strong communications and writing skills, project management and relationship management skills, and experience and knowledge in Just Transition. This position reports to a Director on the Investor Network team, with a dotted-line relationship to the Just and Inclusive Economies (JIE) team.
This role is a full-time position that may work remotely or in the Boston, MA office or San Francisco, CA office. Candidates must be flexible to work with employees in all US time zones.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- On the Shareholder Initiative on Climate and Sustainability team, this role will bring Just Transition topic expertise and integrate that knowledge into existing program work
- Collaborate with Climate Action 100+ team to manage and deepen Ceres’ expanding portfolio of investors with a keen interest in the Just Transition and contribute to the development and implementation of the Climate Action 100+ benchmark Just Transition indicator
- Utilize Ceres’ Investor Network relationship management system to track member engagement activities focused on Just Transition
- Partner with the Just and Inclusive Economies (JIE) team to develop strategy and content throughout equity-based initiative, and to align the shareholder engagement work within teams at Ceres
- Support outreach, calls, meetings, and presentations with investors, stakeholder organizations and Investor Network working group members on Just Transition.
- Coordinate shareholder engagement with multiple coalitions of investors and stakeholders, domestically and internationally
- Advise and support Ceres shareholder engagement in developing a focus list of companies on Just Transition issues, including developing research briefs and sector analysis documents
- Support investors for shareholder dialogues, resolutions, providing input to shareholder resolution text, tracking shareholder engagements related to the Just Transition
- Supporting the negotiations with those resolutions; and speaking publicly to investment audiences about the resolutions
- Identify opportunities and implement avenues to advance Ceres’ goals related to the Just Transition through projects and activities with Investor Network members
- Partner with the Senior Director, Shareholder Engagement, and the Communications team to develop media messaging and communications materials such as op-eds, press releases, and blogs
- Partner with the Development team as needed on Just Transition-related grant proposals and deliverables
- Achieve visibility for Ceres Just Transition-focused work by helping to organize and manage panels and speaking at investor-facing global events
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in Environmental Social and Governance (ESG) investing or with companies on Just Transition-related issues, preferred
- Knowledge of or experience working with institutional investors and financial markets on environment, finance, energy, water, and/or sustainability or environmental issues, a plus
- Experience in the shareholder resolution or proxy voting process
- Strong meeting facilitation, communication, and presentation skills, including synthesizing research and conceptual work into actionable deliverables
- Demonstrated initiative and motivation, and ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Sound judgment and high level of integrity and professionalism, with an ability to manage confidential information and maintain discretion, diplomacy, and courtesy in all contacts
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), other database applications, teleconference and webinar systems and standard e-mail computer applications
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific Ceres’ applications necessary for success: Salesforce, Bloomberg, and others
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed
Compensation: The hiring salary is $79,000 to $81,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
Join our team by applying to Careers at Ceres. We encourage all applicants to review our website to learn more about Ceres’ goals, mission, and values. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you have questions related to the above or need a reasonable accommodation under the ADA, please contact our ADA Coordinator at ADArequest@ceres.org.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.