30+ days ago
Accelerator Program for Sustainable Capital Markets
Ceres is a nonprofit organization working with the most influential capital market leaders to solve the world’s greatest sustainability challenges. Through our powerful networks and global collaborations of investors, companies, and nonprofits, we inspire equitable market-based and policy solutions throughout the economy to build a just and sustainable future.
For more information about Ceres, please visit ceres.org.
The Ceres Accelerator works to transform the practices and policies that govern capital markets in order to reduce the worst financial impacts of the climate crisis. It spurs capital market influencers to act on climate change as a systemic financial risk—driving the large-scale behavior and systems change needed to achieve a just and sustainable future and a net zero emissions economy.
For more information about Ceres Accelerator, please visit www.ceres.org/accelerator.
Description & Responsibilities
The Director role plays a key role in advancing our strategy to change the underwriting policies and investments of insurance companies. This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter with experience advocating for strong and effective climate risk management policies, especially with insurance companies and/or insurance regulators. The position will report to the Managing Director, Ceres Accelerator.
This role is a full-time position that may work remotely or in the Boston, MA office or San Francisco, CA office. Candidates must be flexible to work with employees in all US time zones.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the development of events, activities, reports and outreach for the insurance engagement effort to include focus on insurance companies and insurance regulators
- Recruit investors and business leaders, in coordination with the Investor Network and Policy Network teams, to engage in advocacy targeting insurance companies
- Work with the Ceres team to drive external outreach to get insurance leadership to address climate change as a financial risk
- Direct the research and participate in the writing of blogs, reports and other documents for distribution to insurers, regulators, other stakeholders and the public
- Drive the strategic outreach with insurers, investors, certain regulators and other influencers of the banking industry, including banking trade associations
- Partner with the Company Network, Investor Network and Policy teams to lead outreach to support insurer engagement strategy
- Drive strategies to impact insurers, regulators, and other influencers using advocacy days, national & regional meetings, direct engagement with policymakers, and other strategies to impact insurance industry, regulators and other influencers
- Develop, maintain, and expand relationships with external partners and key allies, such as non-profits, insurance associations, think tanks, communications firms, lobbyists working in and associated with insurance institutions
- Prepare materials and support Ceres staff and Investor, Policy, and Company Network members to engage with the press, regulators, legislative staffers, and lawmakers on insurance issues
- Coordinate closely with insurance regulator outreach efforts at state, federal (and to a lesser extent the international) level
- Supervise staff members and interns including hiring and training new staff, conducting regular one-on-one meetings and semi-annual reviews, providing guidance and support with professional development
- As needed, participate in meetings with current and potential funders and help craft fundraising proposals to support the project and program work
- Support organizing and logistical activities related to various convenings
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience working with insurers, investors, or relevant related stakeholders, with advocacy experience, preferred
- Knowledge of or experience with underwriting policies and investments of insurance companies and/or environmental and social sustainability issues particularly understanding of the role of business, the investment community, and/or NGOs
- Direct experience researching and editing reports and other communication, preferred
- Demonstrated ability to bring a nuanced advocacy perspective to both analysis and corporate engagement and to make clear recommendations for actions and next steps
- Demonstrated project management skills overseeing multiple projects and external relationships at the same time and delivering projects on deadline and on budget
- Effective presentation style as well as strong speaking and written communication skills
- Experience in relationship management and developing partnerships
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative, and motivation
- Demonstrated initiative and motivation, and ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Sound judgment and high level of integrity and professionalism, with an ability to manage confidential information and maintain discretion, diplomacy, and courtesy in all contacts
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), other database applications, teleconference and webinar systems and standard e-mail computer applications
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific Ceres’ applications necessary for success: Salesforce, Bloomberg, and others
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed
Compensation: The salary range is $113,000 to $115,000 and pairs with competitive benefits .
How to Apply
Join our team by applying to Careers at Ceres. We encourage all applicants to review our website to learn more about Ceres’ goals, mission, and values. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and list of three references.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you have questions related to the above or need a reasonable accommodation under the ADA, please contact our ADA Coordinator at ADArequest@ceres.org.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.