Vice President, People and Operations
Boston, MA, United States
Vice President, People and Operations
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Vice President will lead and oversee all human resources strategies and initiatives for Ceres. We are looking for a creative, engaging, people-centered, strategic thinker with an inclusion mindset, to lead on issues of workforce strategy, an inclusive and equitable workplace, high-level employee relations, and change management. The Vice President will lead cross-org partnerships with our VP of DEI, the Innovation & Evaluation team, and MarComms to ensure well-designed and effective talent acquisition, employee and labor relations, talent development, benefits, compensation, and other HR programs and initiatives. This role will be responsible for overseeing that Ceres’ internal practices and protocols reflect the values of the organization and center anti-racism, equity, and belonging in all initiatives.
The Vice President will lead a talented team of at least eight and directly supervise five. The position is full-time and reports to the Chief Administration and Financial Officer. The position will be based in our Boston office, though we will consider remote and hybrid work arrangements.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and lead People and workforce strategy.
- Oversee a Talent Acquisition function that provides an optimal experience for all candidates from application through onboarding.
- Serve as strategic partner to Executive Team, Program Management Team and team leaders.
- Lead, oversee, and delegate the implementation of policies and strategies related to benefits, employment matters, professional development, talent acquisition, and workforce planning.
- Provide strategic insight and perspective to t to Executive Team and Team Leaders on issues of workforce planning, organizational culture, and employee engagement
- Partner with Executive Team on organizational values and modeling desired culture
- Oversee, champion, and engage employees in organizational changes to boost employee satisfaction and engagement
- Lead, oversee, and delegate the implementation of People-related DEI strategies and initiatives
- Assure appropriate communications of People and Operations department messaging, working with internal communications, MarComms, and People and Ops team members.
- Lead the People and Ops team through the next phase of the department’s strategic plan. Lead the People and Ops team to ensure team members feel empowered and have the resources and support they need to achieve their objectives.
- Supervise employees including hiring, training, setting goals, assessing performance, and supporting professional development.
- Manage high-level employee relations, especially focused on sensitive or challenging matters, and oversee employee complaint investigations.
- Use data and data analytics to drive recommendations, decision making and accountability.
- Oversee and lead on compensation philosophy and strategy.
- Oversee, create and manage People and Operations team budget.
- Serve as a thought partner on the Executive Team advising on people strategy, people management and Organizational design and growth strategy.
- Oversee the procurement and maintenance of office space for Ceres; to include the development and implementation of safety, risk-reducing, and building protocols.
- Align the design and use of Ceres physical office space with Ceres People strategy..
- Oversee the selection and procurement of insurance for the organization and physical plant, to include property, management and professional liability insurance.
- Oversee all aspects of office facilities, including office environment, building management, furniture acquisition and related upkeep.
We understand that there are many paths to acquiring expertise and experience and therefore welcome candidates from diverse and nontraditional backgrounds for this role who have demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to carry out the major duties outlined in this job description, including the following required skills or experience:
- At least 10 years of leadership experience in Human Resources with a track record of successfully developing and implementing strategy and short and long-term objectives.
- Previous experience working as a VP of Human Resources or another senior HR role. Preference for experience in a rapidly growing organization.
- Proven success in growing talent and building a high-functioning HR team
- Strong technical knowledge of human resources functions and a record of accomplishment in developing and promoting a genuine service ethic to deliver dynamic and responsive human resources services and support to a diverse community.
- Experience in establishing systems and leveraging technology to deliver high quality service with a clear focus on strategy, policy, and compliance.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a record of promoting it;
- Experience cultivating effective and productive supervisory relationships with direct reports across gender identity, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Well-organized with strong project management skills and proven experience in connecting people and projects across functional areas;
- Prior budget planning and management experience;
- Solid understanding and demonstrated use of data analytics
- Experience overseeing compliance efforts, and developing administrative processes and procedures;
- Strong partnership skills, able to establish credibility and rapport with colleagues;
- Demonstrated ability to coach and counsel employees;
- High degree of emotional intelligence, interpersonal, and negotiation skills;
- Track record of successfully navigating complex employee relations situations;
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational, and time management skills;
- Understanding of current HR trends in compensation, benefits, and performance management;
- Experience facilitating and implementing DEI best practices & strategies
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
- SPHR or PHR professional certifications, desired.
Compensation: The hiring salary is $170,000 to $185,000 and pairs with competitive benefits.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references through our online application system.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $170,000.00 - $185,000.00 per year