Senior Manager, Oil & Gas
Boston, MA, United States
30+ days ago
Senior Manager, Oil & Gas
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Oil & Gas (O&G) team is part of the growing Climate and Energy Program at Ceres. The Senior Manager will organize and lead on work with investors, companies, and other key stakeholders focused on encouraging oil companies to make ambitious climate commitments and to align their business strategies with the low-carbon transition.
The Senior Manager collaborates with teams across the organization working on corporate climate commitments, investor engagement and public policy. This is a full-time salaried position, reporting to the Senior Director, Oil & Gas. This role may be based in Boston or remotely.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leading Ceres’ Oil & Gas (O&G) work in key issue areas, potentially including:
- Climate accounting
- Engaging pipeline companies on climate risk
- Engaging upstream O&G producers on climate risk
- Corporate Climate Governance in the O&G sector
- Supporting Ceres’ other areas of O&G work, including:
- SEC disclosure
- Contributing to the success of key Ceres projects, including the Ceres Ambition 2030 initiative and the Climate Action 100+ initiative.
- Coordinating with Ceres’ Investor Network to support investors with research, materials drafting, and strategic guidance on engaging with companies in the O&G sector to boost ambition on climate risk.
- Continuing to build the business case for investor action on O&G climate risk, by managing and/or conducting research and report production.
- Collaborating with Ceres’ Policy Network on state and federal climate policy initiatives relevant to the O&G sector including on methane.
- Presenting Ceres’ strategic and advocacy voice in engagements with external partners and at strategic convenings and events regarding the O&G sector.
- Contributing to the development of new areas of impact for Ceres’ O&G work, including water, in close coordination with the Valuing Water Finance Initiative.
- With the rest of the team, ensuring that Ceres’ O&G work addresses issues of Justice, Equity, and Inclusion (JIE) and helps advance emerging JIE best practices for the sector.
- Managing and advancing relationships with current and potential funders, including by partnering with the Development Team on grant proposals or engagements with donors to raise funds to support this campaign.
- Supporting the tracking, measurement, and verification of results under the Oil & Gas program in close coordination with the Innovation and Evaluation team.
- Supervise employee or intern, as needed, to include training, conducting performance reviews, and providing guidance and support with professional development.
- Traveling, as needed, to engage with companies, investors and stakeholders.
- Minimum of seven years of work experience related to the oil and gas sector or the energy sector broadly.
- Knowledge of, and experience related to, climate change, clean energy, and corporate sustainability issues
- Understanding of business and financial sector capabilities, methods, and practices for achieving positive sustainability outcomes.
- Familiarity with corporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) policies and platforms;
- Familiarity with accepted sustainability frameworks and platforms such as GRI, SASB, SBTi, TCFD or others.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, strong initiative and motivation;
- Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members, with a special focus on equity.
- Excellent research, presentation, and writing skills.
- Effective facilitation skills with the ability to bring divergent ideas to a productive conclusion. Experience working with diverse constituents and making everyone feel valued and respected, a plus.
- Experience working with the media and/or political constituencies, a plus
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
The hiring salary range for this position is $81,000-$84,000.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $81,000.00 - $84,000.00 per year