Senior Associate, State Policy
Boston, MA, United States
15 days ago
Senior Associate, State Policy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and just and equitable workplaces.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Associate, State Policy position supports Ceres’ policy work, with a with a focus on state-level climate, clean energy and clean transportation policy in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter with prior policy experience looking to be an advocate for strong and effective state climate, clean energy, and clean transportation policies. This is a full-time position and will report to the Senior Manager, State Policy.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership role in identifying policy priorities in two Mid-Atlantic states, developing a plan for policy engagement, and executing plan with team members
- Work with policy team to periodically refine strategy for state program work as it fits into team’s overall vision
- Track key developments related to state policy
- Work with state-based consultants and lobbyists to execute advocacy strategy
- Develop and cultivate relationships with key state policymakers, external partners, and in-state allies (local non-profits, communications firms, lobbyists, etc.)
- Support in outreach and dissemination of Ceres’ work in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, including designing and implementing workshops, webinars/conference calls, newsletters and other multi-media communications to reach companies, investors, policy makers and donors.
- Use earned media, advocacy days, national meetings, direct engagement with policymakers, and other strategies to impact state policy outcomes
- Prepare materials and prep participants for investor and business engagements with press, state lawmakers, and federal lawmakers
- Support recruitment of investors and businesses to engage in state level and federal policy advocacy opportunities
- Coordinate with other program teams (such as Transportation, Investor Programs, Communications, Development, Electric Power, or Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Participate in crafting fundraising proposals to support designated project or program work.
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Support organizing and logistical activities related to Ceres’ Annual Conference.
- Support special projects of Policy Program, as necessary.
- Three or more of direct experience working on environment, environmental equity, energy, and/or transportation policy issues, particularly at the state level.
- Knowledge of clean transportation, electric power, and/or sustainability issues and an understanding of corporate perspectives.
- Knowledge of Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states environmental policy and political arena, with relevant experience.
- Self-starter focused on execution, with ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to make strong connections between sustainability issues and articulate the impacts and implications for corporate and investor actions.
- Demonstrated ability to bring an advocacy perspective to corporate dialogues will be viewed as beneficial.
- Demonstrated strong project management and attention to detail is required.
- Effective presentation style as well as strong speaking and written communication skills for external and internal audiences.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, proven ability to demonstrate initiative and motivation.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and take a collaborative approach, and to deliver independent projects.
- Planning expertise and delivering projects on deadline and within time and resource budgets. Attention to detail is required.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
The hiring salary range for this position is $55,000-$57,000.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion._ We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities._ We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $57,000.00 per year