Manager, Food & Forests
Boston, MA, United States
30+ days ago
Manager, Food & Forests
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager will lead programmatic work on the Food and Forests team to improve the sustainability performance of companies in the food sector. The work of the Manager will primarily contribute to Ceres’ Food Emissions 50 campaign, an investor-led initiative to engage 50 of the highest-emitting public food companies in North America to improve greenhouse gas emissions disclosures, set ambitious emission reduction targets, and implement climate transition plans in line with the Paris Agreement. The Manager will also support engagement with companies on other topics related to land use and climate.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Director, Food and Forests. This role may be based in Boston or remotely.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead direct engagement with food companies on targets & plans related to climate. Co-develop and implement strategies to influence corporate adoption of Ceres recommendations
- Support the development and execution of programmatic strategy for Ceres’ Food and Forests work, including work planning, output delivery and progress evaluation
- Manage consultants to conduct research and deliver data and written materials, as needed
- Plan and execute educational events for investors and companies related to company performance.
- Stay current on scientific and market developments related to climate transition plans and corporate supply chains
- Coordinate with other Ceres program teams (e.g. Investor Network, Company Network, Communications, Development, Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives
- Assist the Program Director and Director in production of funding proposals with the Ceres Development team, providing support for funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders
- Represent Ceres at conferences, seminars, press conferences and meetings as spokesperson for project or program work
- Assure that programmatic strategies maximize the impact of our work through a lens of social and racial equity
- Train and supervise other Food and Forests team staff or interns as needed
- Five years of work experience on corporate sustainability issues, showing a progression of responsibilities in their positions. Experience advising or working within a consumer goods company is a plus.
- Understanding of corporations including corporate reporting and business strategy tools a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of supply chain dynamics and corporate sustainable sourcing best practices through academic coursework or direct work experience
- Demonstrated project management skills overseeing multiple projects and external relationships at the same time.
- Demonstrated ability to be an advocate for change.
- Effective presentation style and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Sound judgment, experience working with diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation
- Effective facilitation skills
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications
- Prior experience training or supervising individuals from diverse backgrounds, a plus.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization
The hiring salary range for this position is $75,000-$77,000.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 - $77,000.00 per year