CALSTART is seeking a highly motivated, experienced, and mission-oriented Vice President (VP) to develop and implement policies and regulations that support clean transportation at the national and state levels. The candidate should have a strong track record of working with diverse stakeholders and coalitions to achieve major policy objectives. The VP of Policy will manage policy directors in Pittsburgh, Sacramento and Washington, DC to meet the organization's ambitious policy agenda. Familiarity and experience with both regulatory and legislative affairs will be very helpful. This position reports to the President and CEO.
Our new Vice President of Policy will:
- Provide critical leadership to advance major policies that drive us to our 2030 goals
- Organize and mobilize industry coalitions
- Oversee policy strategy and engagement, i.e., in legislative and regulatory matters
- Proactively identify what regulations and policies will be needed to build the clean transportation industry, mitigate climate change, and reduce air pollution
- Support the growth and development of the organization through increased foundation fundraising and supporting program leads in identifying and pursuing government funding opportunities
- Provide team leadership, through oversight, mentoring, and team development
- Empower and coordinate with the state and federal policy directors to achieve their objectives
- Coordinate closely with Communications to support pursuit of key policy objectives
Preferably, this position will be based in Washington, D.C., San Francisco Bay Area, or Sacramento.
- A bachelor's degree in policy or science or environmental management
- 10+ years' experience in either clean transportation, energy, or climate policymaking or advocacy position
- Strong partnership development and stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven track record of advancing major policies and building coalitions by working with diverse partners
- Exceptional ability to organize and engage with a broad set of stakeholders and to move discussions to consensus and action
- A good mediator and group facilitator who is adept at reading a room and reaching a constructive solution
- Strong working knowledge of clean transportation policies and regulations
- Understanding of state and federal rule-making processes, timing, and requirements
- Ability to speak in public and be an effective advocate
- Executive-level communication skills and experience briefing organization leadership, including Board
- Experience working with technical information to support policy advocacy
- Exceptional policy analysis, writing, presentation, and speaking skills
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Strong ability to meet or exceed deadlines and able to work with minimal supervision or direction
- Proven ability to multitask and handle many complex matters simultaneously
Desired Skills and Experience
- Advanced degrees and certifications in public policy, energy, environmental science, or law
- Knowledge about major California and federal clean transportation and low carbon fuel policies
- Familiarity with companies and technologies in our industry
- Experience working in both Washington DC and in Sacramento on policy development
- Successful track record in advancing policy in the regulatory sector and via legislation
- Ability to make a compelling pitch and seek funding from foundations or individuals
- Experience engaging at a global level to advance policies (e.g., UNFCCC, Clean Energy Ministerial, etc.)
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive annual salary based upon experience
- Performance-based growth opportunities
- Competitive company-paid health plan that includes dental and vision care
- Retirement plan with a generous company contribution
- Employee Incentive Program (bonus) yearly based on performance
- Telecommuting and flexible work hours as appropriate
- Rewards for alternative commuting to and from work
- Committed to employee growth and development
To apply: If you are up to this challenge, we invite you to apply. Qualified candidates, please apply online with your resume and cover letter at www.calstart.org/careers (http://www.calstart.org/careers)
CALSTART includes the complete salary range amount ($180,000 to $205,000) of the job announced. We determine pay based on education, experience, internal equity, and any other factors relevant to the job. Our starting pay for this role will typically be from $180,000 - $190,000.
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and one that celebrates diversity in all forms. Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQIA+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This applies to any terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruiting, hiring, transferring, training, pay, incentives, benefits, discipline, promotion, lay-offs, and termination. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.
We are a nationally and internationally recognized clean transportation industry organization with offices in multiple states. With more than 30 years of experience, we work with both public and private sectors to break down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future.
We work with our 320+ member companies, including fleets, manufacturers, public agencies, investors, and fuel providers, to advance the clean transportation industry. Our work is organized into the major initiative areas; cars, buses, trucks (and off-road vehicles), fuels, and mobility. We advance each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing, and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving value-added services to our member organizations. We believe now is our time, and we are planning for growth. If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work with us!