Vice President Trucks & Off Road Initiative
30+ days ago
CALSTART is #hiring! We are seeking an industry leader with the experience and knowledge to manage the largest initiative within CALSTART. With 15 or more years of demonstrated experience in the medium- and heavy-duty vehicle (MHDV) industry, this highly motivated visionary and strategic leader must be capable of managing a strong group of professionals and possess a strong and deep knowledge of advanced technologies and fuels in medium and heavy-duty commercial vehicles and commercial off-road equipment. This individual will need to have an outstanding relationship with manufacturers, suppliers, and fleets in this segment and the ability to work closely with Federal, State and Local agencies at the program and policy levels.
The Vice President will lead the Trucks & Off-road (T&OR) Team and create strategic vision and motivate and direct the team forward on actions to accelerate adoption of zero emission vehicles (electric, hydrogen and other clean fuels) & off-road equipment. Supervise key subject matter experts in these areas of market acceleration and incentive programs such as HVIP, CORE, Vouchers and ISeF, fleet and community engagement and industry partnerships. An important aspect will be working on policy and regulations. This person will work in partnership with the Activities, Regional Offices, and other Initiatives within the organization to help fulfill the CALSTART mission.
The Vice President will also:
- Lead and manage responsibility our T&OR Initiative including visioning, strategy, development and administration of the Operational Plan, Work Plan, Hiring Plan, and Fiscal Year Budget
- Administration and lead the T&OR Team: collaborate with other groups internal and external to CALSTART; train and mentor initiative team members and recruiting/onboarding new staff.
- Business Development – capture, bid and partner on new opportunities for funding. This includes develop relationships at with government, private industry, foundations and other stakeholders.
- Manage the largest and most complicated projects and interfacing with key clients like CARB, FTA, DOE, etc. Oversee T&OR projects/programs under the management of T&OR team members and driving their scopes, budgets and schedules.
- Develop and formulate best practices for the industry through such mediums as publications and electronic channels.
- Presentations to the industry as an industry expert and supporting the development of policy and regulations.
- Participate in cross-initiative, activity and regional collaboration, strategic planning, senior team guidance, training, and oversight.
We are a nationally and internationally recognized clean transportation industry organization with offices in multiple states. With 30 years of experience, we work with both public and private sectors to break down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future.
We work with member companies and the broader industry – including fleets, manufacturers, public agencies, and fuel providers – to advance the clean transportation industry. Our work is organized into the major initiative areas; cars, buses, trucks (and off-road vehicles), fuels, and mobility. We advance each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and providing value-added services to our member organizations. We believe now is our time, and we are planning for growth. If you want a career where you can make a real impact and benefit both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work with us!
- Bachelor's Degree (Engineering, Planning, Business Administration) or equivalent years of experience
- Master's Degree (Planning, Business Administration) or the equivalent, highly preferred.
- 15 Years of Industry Experience including experience in the medium- and heavy-duty vehicle (MHDV) industry This includes the planning and deployment of the appropriate refueling infrastructure.
- Ability to explain complicated solutions in layman's language and be able to be seen as an authoritative and helpful resource by the industry as well as other CALSTART staff. Superb relationship skills as this role will serve as a key liaison to further expand and enhance CALSTART's influence, and benefit to the industry and success in driving change.
- 10 years' Experience in Program/Project Management.
- Experience managing and directing a large portfolio of technology development, market introduction, analysis and policy activities that will achieve tangible outcomes in reduced air and carbon emission and measurable growth in jobs.
- Five years of Business Development/Industry Leadership, experience working with potential “customers and marketplace” and moving them through a pipeline/funnel. This includes developing a network of contacts and acquiring millions of dollars in awards annually. Demonstrated ability to lead and influence industry advocacy efforts in the truck and off-road equipment space.
- A successful track record in supervising, managing, mentoring, and motivation of 25+ staff and other support parties/teams. Proven team leadership skills with the ability to guide, inspire and manage a large team of technical and administrative staff that will include program managers, research & data analysts, and financial/ administrative support people.
- Proven ability to run a large business unit and be responsible for the business.
- Client Knowledge such as the Federal Transit Administration and their Discretionary Grant Program, CALSTA and their Planning Grants, Plus, others.
- A general understanding of Utility Issues as it relates to the Electrification of Bus Fleets.
- Knowledge of Bus manufacturers and manufactures for truck & off-road components.
- PhD or the equivalent in relevant field
- A deep understanding of Advanced T&OR Technology
- Strong business case experience
- Outstanding writing and technical publishing capability
- Direct experience in one of the four key regions as defined by CALSTART (Northeast, Midwest, Northwest, California) or a global region.
- Familiarity and working experience working with key Power Utilities on Electrification
- Knowledge and awareness of key T&OR policies, regulations and industry needs
- Expertise in Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Vehicles
- Client Agency Knowledge such as the FTA, CARB CEC, NYSERDA, etc.
- How to perform the analysis on a Business Case Analysis
- How to model various measures of vehicles or system performance
- Truck and off-road activities nationally and overseas
- strategy, technical and financial success of the group.
- Competitive annual salary based on experience.
- Performance-based growth opportunities.
- Competitive company-paid health plan that includes dental and vision care.
- Retirement plan with a generous company contribution.
- Employee Incentive Program (bonus) yearly based on performance.
- Telecommuting and flexible work hours as appropriate
- Rewards for alternative commuting to and from work.
- Committed to employee growth and development.
Salary and Benefits
If you are up to this challenge, we invite you to apply for this role. Qualified candidates, please apply online with your resume and cover letter at www.calstart.org/careers (http://www.calstart.org/careers)
CALSTART includes the complete salary range amount $170,000-$196,000 of the job announced. We determine pay based on education, experience, internal equity, and any other factors relevant to the job. Pay for this role will typically be from $170,000-$180,000.
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action employer that celebrates diversity in all forms. Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQIA+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law or not. This applies to any terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruiting, hiring, transferring, training, pay, incentives, benefits, discipline, promotion, lay-offs, and termination. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.