CALSTART is #hiring! We are looking for a State Policy Director, a position with significant focus on the state of California. The State Policy Director will support CALSTART's mission through advocacy to secure government funding and new government programs, including the development of regulations to advance clean and zero-emission transportation that reduces air pollution.
The State Policy Director will:
Oversee state government relations and regulatory advocacy in the California legislature, key agencies, and the governor's office:
- Build and lead stakeholder coalitions on key legislative and regulatory issues.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key agency staff, legislators, committees, and committee staff (especially budget committees).
- Advance Zero Emission Vehicles (ZEVs) by advocating for strong, practical, achievable and implementable regulations.
- Encourage state agencies to develop and/or authorize new programs for ZEVs and ZEV infrastructure, including incentive programs, utility infrastructure/charging programs, and financing programs.
- Support CALSTART's policy thought leadership, further the legislature's understanding of CALSTART's mission and work, and support our members' brand visibility through hosting an annual CA policy summit.
The Director will also:
- Oversee all other state legislative and regulatory work in partnership with the regional directors.
- Engage with CALSTART members on policy, lead policy action groups (PAGs) and coalitions. Track and share updates on policy with general membership informed on policy. Draft and submit formal comments and letters on behalf of CALSTART and/or PAGs.
- May engage with utility regulatory commissions as needed across the to influence utility programs that support Commercial EVs and public charging, in coordination with regional office directors.
- Support legislation in states outside CA and engage members on legislation in other states (e.g., WA, OR, HI, AZ and more).
- Advocate for establishment of new state incentive programs
- Promote CALSTART's work with foundations to secure philanthropic funding for policy work
- Bachelor's degree required. An advanced degree in public policy, law, business, or engineering strongly preferred
- 8 years of experience in clean transportation, sustainability, and/or policy advocacy and a passion for advancing the commercialization of clean transportation technologies
- Expertise in California clean air, climate, and/or transportation policy
- A comfort level working and communicating with diverse stakeholder groups
- The ability to be a “bridge” between policymakers and leaders from the environmental community and industry
- Strong ability and desire to find common ground and “win-win” policy solutions that advance the clean transportation industry
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, that include listening and understanding the positions of various groups, as well as speaking/presenting in different situations
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical industry stakeholders, policymakers, and environmental stakeholders, including public speaking experience/skills
- Strong written communications skills, including experience with formal written comments (legislative, regulatory) as well as more general writing (white papers, policy memos, short fact sheets, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively with executives
- Ability to manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable learning about, understanding, and discussing new vehicle and fuel technologies
- Strong facilitation skills with the ability to develop and manage events and workshops
- Ability to use legislative and statutory research tools
- Knowledge of state agency regulatory dockets
- Knowledge of state agency “rule of practice and procedure”
- Knowledge of CA legislative procedures, timelines, etc.
- A passion for the CALSTART mission of working with industry to make air healthy to breathe and to protect the climate and environment
- Experience with writing proposals and securing grant funding from foundations, government
- Experience working with and securing funding from state agencies
- Experience with California Public Utilities Commission proceedings
We are a nationally and internationally recognized clean transportation industry organization with offices in multiple states and Europe. With more than 30 years of experience, we work with public and private sectors to break down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future.
We work with member companies and the broader industry, including fleets, manufacturers, public agencies, and fuel providers, to advance the clean transportation industry. Our work is organized into the major initiative areas; cars, buses, trucks (and off-road equipment), fuels, and innovative mobility. We advance each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing, and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving value-added services to our member organizations. We believe now is our time, and we are planning for growth. If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work with us!
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive annual salary based upon experience
- Performance-based growth opportunities
- Competitive company-paid health plan that includes dental and vision care
- Retirement plan with a generous company contribution
- Employee Incentive Program (bonus) yearly based on performance
- Employee Wellness Program that includes on-demand fitness and mindfulness classes
- Telecommuting and flexible work hours as appropriate
- Rewards for alternative commuting to and from work
- Committed to employee growth and development
To apply: If you are up to this challenge, we invite you to apply. Qualified candidates, please apply online with your resume and cover letter at www.calstart.org/careers (http://www.calstart.org/careers)
CALSTART includes the complete salary range for our Director level ($124,000 to $154,000). This will be combined with the benefits identified above for a total compensation package that is industry leading. We determine starting pay based on education, experience, internal equity, and any other factors relevant to the job. Starting pay for this role will typically be from $124k to $140K.
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and one that celebrates diversity in all forms. Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQIA+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. This applies to any terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruiting, hiring, transferring, training, pay, incentives, benefits, discipline, promotion, lay-offs, and termination. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.
#cleantransportation #transportationpolicy #cleanairpolicy #sustainability #EV