30+ days ago
CALSTART has an immediate opening for a highly motivated person to join our marketing communications and publications team as a Publications Manager. We are looking for someone with editorial sophistication, experience managing editors and excellent project management skills. Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, you will be responsible for working with authors on scope and purpose ahead of production, coordinating and overseeing the editing process once the manuscript is available, and ushering through for final publication. This role focuses on leading a team to deliver digital publication of white papers, reports, the CALSTART blog and several initiative-specific newsletters.
In 2021, CALSTART will have produced 14 public reports/white papers, dozens of blog posts, and several custom reports for stakeholders. Next year is likely to be significantly busier. The ideal candidate for Publications Manager will enjoy being busy and be able to juggle overlapping projects and shifting priorities.
In pre-production, you will work with authors to make sure the substance of each report/manuscript is clear and engaging, that key messages are honed and highlighted, and that recommendations are clear and relevant to the specific audience. Skilled substantive editing is essential, as well as the ability to express complex ideas in plain language without losing the impact of nuanced issues. The successful candidate will possess the ability to constructively critique the work of experts in clean transportation technologies to motivate them, keep them on deadline, and help them develop better practices for the future.
You will coordinate the production process for each major publication, with responsibility for quality control and for managing relationships with external vendors. You will help the publications team design and deliver shorter communications products, such as blog pieces and shareable digital content based on larger publications. You will work with the wider marketing and communications team on how best to promote the final product.
As a team and personnel manager, you will model communications and project management skills, work well in a team, and create a supportive and positive environment for the publications team.
As Editor and Publications Manager you will:
- Use excellent writing and editing skills to help authors express their ideas clearly, concisely, and creatively, and help design a suitable narrative for their work.
- Be responsible for the coordination and administration of the entire publication process for reports/white papers, including sourcing and managing relationships with external vendors (copyeditors, designers, translators, etc.).
- Occasionally lead the day-to-day management of large reports, including research assignments, writing and editing, and managing internal and external collaboration.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously, efficiently and on-time.
- Help produce diverse communications products to complement major work, e.g., briefs, one-pagers, infographics, blog posts, newsletter inserts, etc.
- Work with several program teams/authors across the organization
- Contribute ideas for digital publications, including what visuals/charts/interactives might help promote a product
CALSTART's mission is to improve air quality, combat climate change, strengthen the economy, and create jobs by growing the clean transportation technology industry. With more than 28 years of experience, CALSTART is recognized nationally and internationally as an industry catalyst. CALSTART's member organizations are diverse and include, among others, Tesla Motors, UPS, Ford, the Union of Concerned Scientists, Kenworth, General Motors, Southern California Gas, and Southern California Edison. CALSTART focuses its work in four major initiatives: cars, trucks (including non-road vehicles), bus/mobility, and fuels/infrastructure. CALSTART is a national organization with offices in several states. If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting society and the environment, you should consider working for CALSTART.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or related field.
- Minimum five years of publications coordination/management and editing
- Minimum two years of personnel managerial experience
- Experience with blog editing and writing newsletters
- Excellent writing and editing skills; proficient in AP style, but adaptable to specific styles and processes adopted by CALSTART
- Ability to produce and manage several publication voices (reports, blogs, newsletters) to attract and engage specific audiences.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Positive attitude and ability to navigate personalities and conflicts
- Advanced degree
- Experience with design software (InDesign, Photoshop, etc.) preferred
- Experience with think tanks, transportation/automotive industry, policy, and finance communities
- Good understanding of clean transportation issues including climate change, clean transportation technologies, air quality, etc.
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive annual salary based upon experience
- Performance-based growth opportunities
- Competitive company-paid health plan that includes dental and vision care
- Retirement plan with a generous company contribution
- Employee Incentive Program (bonus) yearly based on performance
- Telecommuting and flexible work hours as appropriate
- Rewards for alternative commuting to and from work
- Committed to employee growth and development
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and one that celebrates diversity in all forms. Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQIA+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law or not. This applies to any terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruiting, hiring, transferring, training, pay, incentives, benefits, discipline, promotion, lay-offs, and termination. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.