Program Manager China, Global Commercial Drive to Zero
30+ days ago
CALSTART is seeking a highly-motivated, experienced and results-oriented Program Manager to manage and lead the work plan and activities in China to support our Global Commercial Vehicle Drive to Zero program (https://globaldrivetozero.org/). Drive to Zero aims to accelerate the growth of global zero-emission commercial vehicles (ZECVs), with the vision that ZE technology be commercially viable by 2025 and dominate by 2040 in first-success applications (referred to as “beachhead” segments) and first-mover regions (China, India, Mexico, Canada, Japan, the European Union, the United States led by California, and South America). The program has gained incredible momentum since its initial launch in September 2018, and currently counts on more than 100 pledge partners worldwide, and several strategic regional and global partnerships.
The Program Manager will lead CALSTART/Drive to Zero's activities in China including working with key government agencies, industry and stakeholders to provide information, strategies and support for faster ZECV deployment. This will include recruiting new Drive to Zero partners, managing regional and global alliances, developing knowledge products, disseminating information, supporting priority projects, and tracking progress towards our goals. China expertise and knowledge is key, though the Program Manager will also support the global Drive to Zero work.
Additionally, the Program Manager will:
- Manage partnerships with policymakers, manufacturers, fleets, utilities, finance institutions, NGOs and research centers relevant to China's needs
- Advise key stakeholders on policies, incentives, infrastructure investments, and pilot projects to advance the commercialization of ZECVs
- Manage and write clear, strong technical reports, policy briefings, and guidance documents to support a faster uptake of ZECVs
- Develop quantitative and qualitative analyses to advance ZECVs in China and by example, worldwide, based on best available data
- Coordinate workshops, invite-only meetings, and other outreach events, and present research and conclusions in a range of venues
- Support business development opportunities in partnership with the Global Director
- Conduct research, prepare briefings, and develop proposals for funders
- Contribute to strategy development and evaluation of program priorities
This position will be based in the U.S. within commuting proximity to one of our offices. For the safety and well-being of our employees, our organization is temporarily working remotely.
CALSTART is a nationally and internationally recognized clean transportation industry organization (nonprofit) headquartered in California with offices in multiple states. With more than 28 years of experience, we work with the public, private and philanthropic sectors to break down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future.
Our work is organized into four major initiative areas: light-duty vehicles, buses and innovative mobility, trucks (and off-road vehicles), and clean fuels and infrastructure. We advance each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving value-added services to our member organizations. We operate from offices in California, Colorado, Michigan, and New York.
CALSTART is a fast-growing organization, doubling in size over the last 2.5 years and with further growth planned now that the world is now ready for the urgent change upon which our mission is focused. With this hire, we seek to greatly expand its impact and capabilities to change transportation for good. In this role, you will have the opportunity to strengthen and further amplify our ability to support, expand and live our vision.
If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work with us!
- Master's degree in engineering, environmental sciences, economics, or related disciplines preferred, or comparable work experience
- 7+ years of relevant work experience with a strong background and proven knowledge of clean transportation policies and technologies
- 5+ years of direct project management experience, with demonstrated ability to effectively oversee and prioritize multiple simultaneous activities, meet or exceed deadlines, and work with minimal supervision
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and strong emotional intelligence; Ability to develop and manage strong partnerships, and present effectively to small and large audiences
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, along with strong research, analytical, and quantitative skills (including advanced Excel skills) Proven ability to synthesize large amounts of data into clear understandable language for key stakeholders and other interested parties
- Ability and eagerness to travel especially to China (depending on travel restrictions and post pandemic environment)
- English and Mandarin fluency required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and other relevant industry analysis, modeling, and simulation tools.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with policies, incentives, infrastructure investments, and projects to advance ZECVs (e.g., battery-electric and fuel cell trucks and buses, and related infrastructure) in China
- Proven experience working directly with policymakers, manufacturers, and fleets in China
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive annual salary based upon experience
- Performance-based growth opportunities
- Competitive company-paid health plan that includes dental and vision care
- Retirement plan with a generous company contribution
- Employee Incentive Program (bonus) yearly based on performance
- Telecommuting and flexible work hours as appropriate
- Rewards for alternative commuting to and from work
- Committed to employee growth and development
To apply: If you are up to this challenge, we invite you to apply. Qualified candidates, please apply online with your resume and cover letter at www.calstart.org/careers (http://www.calstart.org/careers) job
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and one that celebrates diversity in all forms. Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQIA+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law or not. This applies to any terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruiting, hiring, transferring, training, pay, incentives, benefits, discipline, promotion, lay-offs, and termination. Underrepresented candidates are encouraged to apply.