CALSTART develops and implements large-scale zero-emission transportation solutions with businesses, governments, and organizations to mitigate climate change, and support economic growth.
For over 30 years, it’s been CALSTART’s mission to develop, assess, and implement large-scale, zero-emission transportation solutions to mitigate climate change and support economic growth. CALSTART works with businesses, organizations, governments, and communities to create real-life impact toward clean air and equitable access to clean transportation for all. CALSTART provides scientific, technical and policy support for regulatory development and clean technology and infrastructure acceleration.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager at CALSTART, this position is integral to maintaining financial integrity. Responsible for full-service accounts payable, tasks include reviewing contracts, entering invoices, managing vendors, and overseeing 1099 reporting. Additionally, the role involves administering the travel and expense reimbursement platform, ensuring functionality, user management, and troubleshooting. Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment are key. This role provides a unique opportunity to contribute to CALSTART's financial efficiency and success.
This is a hybrid role. The requirement will be to be in the office in person in Pasadena, CA one day a week, on occasion the requirement will be two days a week, depending on the workload.
What You’ll Do:
Full-Service Accounts Payable:
- Review contract agreements to ensure alignment with vendor invoices.
- Enter project invoices, consultant invoices, and subcontractor invoices into accounting software.
- Assemble approved invoices with supporting documentation into one PDF per vendor.
- Maintain vendors, create new vendors, ensuring accurate entry of W-9 information.
- Update vendor log with 1099 information and maintain accuracy.
- Review 1099 vendors, verify amounts, and ensure accurate information in Sage.
- Compare weekly invoices and check history to aging report for accuracy.
Travel and Expense Reimbursement:
- Oversee and maintain the travel and expense reimbursement platform, ensuring its functionality and accuracy.
- Manage user accounts, permissions, and system configurations as needed.
- Stay updated on system updates and enhancements and implement changes accordingly.
- Troubleshoot technical issues and provide support to users as necessary.
Expense Report Processing:
- Review and process employee expense reports submitted through the reimbursement platform.
- Verify the accuracy and completeness of expense documentation, including receipts and supporting information.
- Allocate expenses to appropriate cost centers and ensure proper coding for accounting purposes.
- Handle any discrepancies or issues with expense reports, including follow-up with employees as needed.
Reporting and Analysis:
- Generate reports and analyze expense data.
- Provide regular updates and insights to management regarding travel and expense-related metrics and performance.
Project Consultant Status Reporting:
- Track and monitor consultant worksheet in relation to agreement terms and balances.
- Prepare summaries of consultant payments and agreement balances as requested by Project Managers.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in accounts payable, finance, or related roles, with specific experience in travel and expense management.
- Strong understanding of travel and expense policies and accounting principles.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy in data entry and analysis.
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with vendor management and system administration is a plus.
- Proficient in Accounting Software, preferably Sage 100 and SAP NetSuite.
- Proficiency in using travel and expense reimbursement platforms.
- Certification in Accounts Payable (CAPA), Certified Expense Management Professional (CEMP), or similar credentials.
- Experience with system implementations or upgrades related to travel and expense reimbursement platforms.
- Familiarity with credit card reconciliation processes.
- Familiarity with contracts documents and their key terms.
CALSTART values transparency and strives to provide as much information regarding compensation as possible. The complete salary range for this role is $52,000 - $73,000. Pay for this role will typically be from $52,000 - $57,000 as we determine pay based on several factors, including but not limited to job-related skills, qualifications, experience, education, internal equity and other factors relevant to the job.
We understand that not everyone will match the above qualifications 100%. If your background isn't perfectly aligned but you feel you would be a great addition to the team, we'd love to hear from you.
We're a tight-knit team of world-class innovators, business minds, and change agents who believe passionately in our mission and put our team ahead of self. We are committed to the continued development and growth of our employees and invest in your success!
We care about your personal well being as much as your professional success and offer generous benefits to full time employees including: 100% company paid comprehensive health benefits for Medical, Dental, Vision, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance, Retirement plan with generous company contributions, FSA for Health and Dependent Care, 3 weeks of vacation time in the first year of employment, 11 paid company holidays, paid sick time, paid family leave, and more!
Our inclusive environment focuses on making decisions based on merit without regard to race, color, hair texture, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, LGBTQIA+ status, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetics, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.