The National Audubon Society is a nonprofit conservation organization that protects birds and the places they need today and tomorrow. We work throughout the Americas towards a future where birds thrive because Audubon is a powerful, diverse, and ever-growing force for conservation. Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the hemisphere and more than 1.5 million active supporters.
North America has lost three billion birds since 1970, and more than 500 bird species are at risk of extinction across Latin America and the Caribbean. Birds act as early warning systems about the health of our environment, and they tell us that birds – and our planet – are in crisis. Together as one Audubon, we are working to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss. We do this by implementing on-the-ground conservation, partnering with local communities, influencing public and corporate policy, and building community.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon brings new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
This is a hybrid position with ability to work from our Washington, DC office location.
Key responsibilities include:
- Strategic Engagement Support: Act as a strategic partner to the CEO, providing support with regular visits with high-profile donors, key partners, media events, Audubon-sponsored trips, and high-profile national and international meetings, ensuring the CEO is prepared, on time, and positioned to achieve the goals for each engagement.
- Calendar and Travel Management Support: Collaborate closely with the Senior Executive Assistant to optimize the CEO's calendar and travel arrangements. Work in tandem to ensure the smooth coordination of the CEO's day-to-day schedule and travel logistics. Take an active supportive role in travel management, both domestically and internationally, by working with the Senior Executive Assistant to ensure CEO preferences and standard procedures are upheld, as well as advise on logistics. Assume the lead role in accompanying the CEO on up to 50% of domestic and international trips. Provide on-site support during travel, working collaboratively with the Senior Executive Assistant to offer invaluable assistance before, during, and after trips. Contribute to creating a stress-free and seamless experience for the CEO through continuous support and effective communication.
- Research and Travel Support: Research and prepare for every event to achieve positive outcomes by anticipating, averting, and resolving issues. Attend meetings with the CEO to take notes, track action items, and works closely with the Chief of Staff to ensure all follow-up is complete. This includes, but is not limited to, planning for special dietary needs, using technology and creative solutions for real-time problem solving, providing onsite administrative support, and coordinating changes to the schedule with in-office staff.
- Executive Communication: Respond to routine inquiries as delegated by the CEO. Draft and edit executive-level correspondence, briefings, and talking points in coordination with the Vice President, Executive Communications. Facilitate clear and effective communication on behalf of the CEO. Track and manage social media presence and opportunities with Executive Communications leadership.
- Stakeholder Liaison: During business travel, serve as a liaison for both internal and external stakeholders, managing administrative matters related to the CEO's schedule and communication as directed. Foster positive relationships with various partners, staff, and collaborators. Work effectively across a global, fast-paced, matrixed environment in a hybrid/remote environment.
- Operational Excellence: Demonstrate a commitment to operational excellence by efficiently managing the CEO's time during travel, preparing for events and meetings, and handling post-trip correspondence. Maintain an organized system of tracking, monitoring, and prioritizing tasks and projects. Provide workflow management support, coordinate key logistics for departmental meetings, convenings, and other priorities. Execute special projects with diligence and attention to detail.
- At least 5 years’ experience in public service, non-profit administration, communications/PR, leadership support, philanthropy/development, executive administration, event planning, or logistics.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a plus. An equivalent combination of education and work experience will also be considered.
- Available for 50% travel with the CEO, domestically and internationally, for up to a week at a time. International trips may require up to two weeks.
- Highly organized. Demonstrated ability to manage complex schedules, coordinate meetings, and streamline daily operations with precision.
- Demonstrated experience providing executive support and are adept at managing multiple competing priorities, multi-tasking, and consistently meeting deadlines.
- Excellent judgement and ability to maintain strict confidentiality. Ability to build and maintain a strong rapport with the CEO and other Executive Team members - confidentiality, discretion, and personal judgment are foundational to this position and must always be exercised.
- Strong writing and research skills, a global mindset, an emphasis on quality and detail, and the ability to work on several projects simultaneously, under pressure, in a fast-paced environment are critical.
- Resourceful and seasoned traveler who has a valid Driver’s license and excellent driving record.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills. Accountable, great execution ability with a positive attitude.
- Should be a natural problem-solver with the ability to evaluate, create and implement solutions to challenges on the fly.
- The candidate should also be able to prioritize competing demands and be able to handle interacting, both internally and externally, with a wide variety of people and personalities.
- Tech savvy and strong understanding of the social media landscape.
- Team player.