Delaware River Watershed Conservation Coordinator
Philadelphia, PA, United States
24 days ago
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
Audubon Mid-Atlantic is seeking a Delaware River Watershed Conservation Coordinator to help implement Audubon’s on-the-ground habitat restoration and conservation work within the Watershed.
This position reports to the Conservation Program Manager for the Delaware River Watershed Program (Program). The Program is a multi-state effort that incorporates policy, conservation and public engagement work in order to increase support and funding for conservation and environmental protection efforts within the Delaware River watershed, a critical habitat for millions birds and people. The Program also manages on-the-ground projects designed to restore those watershed habitats. This position will focus on those efforts in southeastern Pennsylvania.
The Conservation Coordinator will support the implementation of Watershed habitat restoration programs in Philadelphia and the Schuylkill Highlands, focusing on project logistics, volunteer management and community engagement work.
- Provide logistics, planning and implementation support to the Conservation Manager for on-the-ground watershed-related conservation projects in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Help plan and provide logistics for community outreach meetings and planting activities, including ordering supplies and equipment, managing materials delivery, preparing the site for work to be done, creating outreach and education materials and providing support at events.
- Work with the Conservation Manager to collaborate with local community leaders, environmental and other nonprofit organizations as well as private companies to develop and implement project work plans.
- Provide recruitment information to communications staff about volunteer opportunities at conservation project locations. Help train and manage volunteers during planting and other conservation events.
- Attend and represent Audubon at meetings and events of partner organizations, City agencies and local community groups.
- Coordinate with Audubon staff at Philadelphia’s Discovery Center and Montgomery County’s John James Audubon Center to generate conservation and community programming content to promote Audubon’s conservation priorities.
- Monitor and track metrics for active grants.
- Bachelor's degree in an environmental field. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Knowledge of water resources or wildlife conservation in the Delaware River Watershed.
- Demonstrated experience with supporting complex projects.
- Sound interpersonal skills, judgment, diplomacy, and a demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of individuals and organizations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and web-based applications required.
- Experience supporting inclusive projects that include opportunities for traditionally underserved communities to engage in their creation and implementation.
- Interest in and knowledge of the habitat needs of birds preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to conservation and passion for the mission and programs of the National Audubon Society, including our principles of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation between project sites required.