New York City, NY, United States
19 days ago
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
We are seeking candidates who are interested in the intersection of design & art with the environment, social justice, climate change, science, and nature. The Graphic Designer should be curious, creative, motivated, and have a willingness to think independently. They must possess strong graphic design and art skills, and will use them to create fresh solutions that help tell visual stories in compelling ways for the entire Audubon network. The Graphic Designer reports to the Art Director and will be mentored by them and the rest of Audubon’s creative team. Location in New York area preferred but remote locations acceptable.Essential Functions:
- At the direction of the Art Director, use Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop) to design and produce elegant and refined layouts, graphics, and communications, including brochures, posters, manuals, invitations, etc. for Audubon’s network of state offices, centers, and sanctuaries, as well as for national departments.
- Work collaboratively with the creative department, and teams throughout the Audubon network in executing projects and campaigns.
- In consultation with the art director, employ a strong knowledge of typography, grid systems, layout design, and color theory, as well as an eye for photography in all projects.
- Use illustration skills to create icons, logos, and other bird- and environment-related art to help tell Audubon’s story.
- Be a brand ambassador to the Audubon network in creating InDesign and Canva templates based on the brand guidelines and according to the creative team’s direction.
- Conceptualize and collaborate with the creative team to create innovative visual solutions.
- Bring creativity and fresh thinking to the design of print publications and online stories and graphics.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field along with 1-2 years’ experience in a competitive, deadline-driven, and professional design environment is essential.
- Interest in environmental and social justice issues, birds, wildlife, nature, and design.
- Proficient in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, as well as Canva.
- Strong understanding of graphic design best practices and knowledge of printing processes.
- General knowledge of web design best practices, HTML, CSS, Drupal, Figma a plus
- A definitive creative vision, a high level of design sophistication, a keen eye for photography, and strong typography skills are essential.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail as well as the ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects simultaneously and make deadlines.
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within the creative team, and has excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to accept design critique from art director with ease and to take that feedback and incorporate it effectively into the design.