The National Audubon Society is a nonprofit conservation organization that protects birds and the places they need today and tomorrow. We work throughout the Americas towards a future where birds thrive because Audubon is a powerful, diverse, and ever-growing force for conservation. Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the hemisphere and more than 1.5 million active supporters.
North America has lost three billion birds since 1970, and more than 500 bird species are at risk of extinction across Latin America and the Caribbean. Birds act as early warning systems about the health of our environment, and they tell us that birds – and our planet – are in crisis. Together as one Audubon, we are working to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss. We do this by implementing on-the-ground conservation, partnering with local communities, influencing public and corporate policy, and building community.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon brings new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
The Director of Corporate Relations will serve as a key member of the Development Team. The Director joins Audubon at an exciting time, as we look to significantly grow our relationships with leading corporations throughout the Western Hemisphere. The Director is both that of a player and coach. Audubon is an entrepreneurial environment and, particularly as our corporate engagement evolves, it will be critical that the Director is a self-starter, comfortable working in ambiguity, and experienced in building and executing new initiatives. The Director will carry a portfolio of six-, seven-, and eight-figure prospects and be expected to provide guidance and coaching to colleagues (development, conservation, executive, etc.) around their own engagement with corporate partners. This position reports to the Vice President of Corporate, Foundation, and Strategic Partnerships.
$140,000-$150,000 / yearEssential Functions:
- Develop and manage a portfolio of corporate supporters and prospects, primarily capable of making $100K+ to $1M+ investments in Audubon, and shepherd them through the moves management process.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to significantly grow Audubon’s corporate support over the next 3-5 years.
- Focus on new business development to identify top prospects for comprehensive, layered corporate partnerships including corporate giving, corporate foundation support, marketing partnerships, employee volunteerism, impact investments and/or other innovative financial models, and in-kind support.
- Partner with the Marketing team to identify opportunities for brand partnerships and cause marketing relationships. Develop and implement strategies to bring these new relationships to life.
- Partner with Development and Conservation colleagues throughout the Western Hemisphere to develop and expand upon a menu of corporate sponsorship opportunities, including employee engagement packages, that provide companies a way to achieve their CSR goals while satisfying Audubon’s conversation priorities.
- Work with development and marketing colleagues to develop concepts, proposals, reports, pitch decks, stewardship materials, etc., for corporate supporters.
- Develop a strong knowledge of Audubon’s strategic flight plan and conservation priorities at local, regional, national, and international levels.
- Represent Audubon at events as needed (e.g. industry conferences, etc.).
- Approximately 10 years of relevant work experience particularly in the corporate philanthropy sector.
- Experience working at large national and/or international NGOs is desirable.
- Experience and/or knowledge of corporate sustainability and/or CSR models within the conservation space is desirable.
- Demonstrated track record of developing significant ($500K to $1M+) corporate partnerships in a nonprofit environment.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- The position requires high levels of professionalism, collegiality, self-motivation, organization, and familiarity with the goals and objectives of Audubon.
- A proven track record of achieving both quantitative and qualitative goals. Success leading, building, and growing fundraising programs.
- Ability to collaborate and partner effectively throughout the organization.
- Strong management skills and proven ability to work effectively within a team and influence people who do not report to you.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging.
- Excellent relationship management, communication, and writing skills.
- Willing and able to travel to perform the job responsibilities, estimated as ~25% of the time but will vary based on where employee lives and how our corporate portfolio evolves.