Senior Grounds Assistant
Dayton, OH, United States
30+ days ago
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
The Senior Grounds Assistant will be responsible for the maintenance of the trails and grounds of Aullwood Audubon’s 200-acre sanctuary. This includes the maintenance of trails, lawns, sidewalks, patios, and boardwalks. This position will also be responsible for facilities maintenance issues in the absence of the maintenance manager. This position requires one weekend day per week.Essential Functions:
- Mow lawns, weed-eat responsibly around trees and structures.
- Remove dead limbs and trees on trails and lawns, utilizing loppers, chainsaws and other hand and power tools.
- Chip limbs and branches.
- Water and maintain trees, garden areas, and fence lines.
- Maintain native landscapes and removal of invasive plants and shrubs as needed.
- Responsible for snow removal in parking lots, walkways, and building entrances.
- Responsible for salting to prevent ice.
- Assist in coordinating volunteers in mowing, planting, trimming and general clean-up.
- Assist in the maintenance of facilities and facility systems as needed.
- Assist with the set up and tear down of special events as needed.
- Open and close facilities and conduct drinking water testing as needed.
- Apply pesticides as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2+ years experience with grounds work, preferably at a conservation organization, plus a high school diploma. Experience will be considered in lieu of education.
- Ability to safely use a wide variety of equipment including but not limited to chipper, chainsaw, dump trailer, plow, salter, electric clippers, basic hand tools, drills, blowers, tractors, pruning saws, snow blowers, zero turn and push mowers, John Deere tractors and bush hogs.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions and ability to recognize hazards and act quickly to rectify.
- Ability to communicate effectively to staff, volunteers, and the public and to maintain positive and effective working relationships.