Seasonal Grounds & Farm Assistant
Dayton, OH, United States
7 days ago
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
Under the direction of the Facilities and Grounds Manager and/or Farm Manager, the Seasonal Grounds & Farm assistant will perform a wide variety of tasks related to maintaining the facilities, grounds, trails and farm at Aullwood Audubon. This is a seasonal, 4-month position.Essential Functions:
- Picks up trash and/or litter from grounds.
- Empties trash receptacles.
- Mow, trim, weed whack, blow and rake grounds, sidewalks, and boardwalks.
- Perform basic trail work including spreading and raking mulch, unclogging culverts, trimming trees and bushes.
- Remove shrubs and small trees and bushes.
- Weed and/or apply herbicide.
- Pick up and/or deliver equipment and supplies.
- Clean farm buildings and/or stalls.
- Powerwash buildings, equipment, sidewalks, and other structures.
- Comfortable working around farm animals.
- Drive gators and other equipment safely in crowded areas as needed.
- Assist with event and rental set-ups.
- Must have at least one year’s experience in grounds-keeping.
- Ability to use push mowers, zero-turn mowers, hedge trimmers, loppers, clippers, shovels, hammers, pry bars, and other basic maintenance tools and equipment as required.
- Ability to understand and follow direction.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to crawl, squat, bend, walk on uneven ground, twist, pull and/or push and lift up to 70 lbs.
- Must have use of motor skills that require firm grasping, fine manipulation and pinching.
- Must be able and willing to work in all weather conditions including hot and humid weather.