Animal Care Assistant
Dayton, OH, United States
18 days ago
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
The Animal Care Assistant will help maintain the general care of the resident animals that live at Aullwood Audubon’s Farm Discovery and Nature Centers. This includes a collection of birds of prey, amphibians, reptiles and fish at this time.
Weekday and weekend hours are required.
- Responsible for the daily and weekly feeding and watering of animal ambassadors at the Nature Center.
- Perform periotic weighing of all animals.
- Complete scheduled enclosure cleanings based on the specifications laid out by the Public Programs Manager.
- Maintain detailed animal care records.
- Research and provide animals with safe enrichment activities.
- Assist with training birds of prey on glove.
- Work in conjunction with the Public Programs Manager to keep track of, organize and replenish animal care supplies.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of the animal care room.
- Assist in basic medical care when animals are sick.
- Organize and order animal care supplies including keeping stock of frozen mice.
- Provide regular updates to Public Programs Manager regarding any issues, emergencies or concerns involving the animals.
- Help with light office duties such as answering the phone, making copies, greeting visitors or helping operate the front desk.
- Assist with the maintenance of orientation documents for new volunteers, written guidelines to cleaning/feeding, presentation tips and other information useful to the program's success.
- Be cross-trained in all animal care at Aullwood, including farm animals.
- Assist Aullwood staff in executing special events and education programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; associate degree or higher in a related field preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. At least one year of experience working with reptiles and amphibians.
- Willingness to work with birds of prey, experience preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks through use of effective organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent judgment and strong concern for safety.
- Must be able to sit, kneel, bend, stoop, grab and reach on uneven work surfaces for extended periods of time with or without accommodation
- Capable of regularly lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. for short periods of time with or without accommodation.
- Ability work weekends and evenings as the job demands.
- Be self-motivated, able to follow directions, work under minimal supervision and have exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in all weather conditions with or without accommodation.
- Comfort presenting animal-related content to an audience.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- It is strongly recommended that you have your own vehicle in order to obtain animal care supplies from vendors.