Finance and Operations Associate
Audubon, PA, United States
30+ days ago
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
The Finance and Operations Associate will provide high-quality and accurate accounting and administrative support for Audubon Mid-Atlantic. The position is also responsible for the timely processing of payables and receivables (including donations, rental payments, and revenue from admissions, gift shops and programs), grants and contracts management. Because much of the work stems from the operations at the John James Audubon Center, the Associate will also work under the direction of the Director of Southeastern Pennsylvania Centers. They will also be responsible for managing Audubon Mid-Atlantic’s annual budget, in coordination with the AMA Executive Director and Atlantic Flyway financial team.Essential Functions:
- Follow Audubon policies and procedures and using Audubon financial systems, process accounts payable; invoice for services; respond to vendor inquiries; review monthly finance reports created by National Financial team for accuracy.
- Input invoices to OIS and submit for approval.
- Perform a variety of accounts payable and fiscal recordkeeping assignments.
- Manage monthly revenue and expense report requirements for all Audubon Mid-Atlantic programs.
- Prepare earned revenue deposits from the John James Audubon Center, Discovery Center, and other miscellaneous sources; ensuring coding is accurate and documentation complete; track and verify transactions through Audubon systems.
- Utilize a set of Audubon systems such as Financial Edge (general ledger), Prophix (budgeting), Salesforce (donor database) and become skilled at running, creating, and interpreting reports to ensure financial activity is reflected appropriately and information is communicated to AMA staff on a timely basis.
- Provide support to staff operating in the Audubon Mid-Atlantic cost centers in aspects of their financial responsibilities, ensuring compliance with NAS policies and procedures.
- Complete activities as needed for budgeting, monthly close, and year-end close.
- Assist staff, if needed, with the completion of travel and expense reimbursements using Concur, Audubon’s on-line software and respond to staff questions and concerns regarding expense reporting.
- Work closely with Jeffery A. Miller, the exclusive caterer at the John James Audubon Center, on all private rental contracts. Review event contracts and process payments and security deposit refunds; complete monthly journal entries; and reconcile income and expense accounts monthly. Track JJAC staff time spent on private events and bill Jeffrey A. Miller for that time. Respond to issues and questions that arise from private event customers.
- Manage gift receipts and processing functions to ensure excellent service to Audubon Mid-Atlantic donors in cooperation with staff in the AMA and Atlantic Flyway Development office.
- Manage all administrative contracts, and work with Grants Specialist on grant contracts to ensure compliance with Audubon policy, including coordination with the national office as necessary.
- Develop, implement, and renew internal operational policies and procedures.
- Help staff with payroll questions and make sure staff are completing grant allocation tracking forms correctly and on-time.
- Occasionally staff the front desk at the John James Audubon Center; operate the point of purchase system to process admissions, annual passes, program revenue, and gift shop sales.
- Serve as point of contact for office vendors and Audubon Headquarters’ support staff colleagues.
- Sort incoming and prepare outgoing mail.
- 4- or 2-year college degree in accounting, finance or business administration required.
- 1-2 years of experience in relevant accounting or bookkeeping position preferred.
- Exceptional organizational ability, attention to detail and a can-do attitude are essential.
- Proven ability to track and move tasks/projects to completion in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision, as well as part of a small team.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Critical thinking skills and a problem-solving attitude.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Help promote an organizational culture that encourages collaboration, cooperation, problem solving and conviviality.