Bird Care Coordinator
Audubon, PA, United States
18 days ago
Audubon has more than 700 staff working across the United States and seven countries in 17 state and regional offices, 41 nature centers, and 23 wildlife sanctuaries. Together as one Audubon, we aspire to alter the course of climate change and habitat loss, leading to healthier bird populations and reversing current trends in biodiversity loss.
Audubon is committed to a culture of workplace excellence, where our talented and diverse staff are deeply engaged, with a strong sense of belonging. The birds Audubon pledges to protect differ in color, size, behavior, geographical preference, and countless other ways. By honoring and celebrating the equally remarkable diversity of the human species, Audubon will bring new creativity, effectiveness, and leadership to our work throughout the hemisphere.
The John James Audubon Center (JJAC) at Mill Grove will hire a Coordinator, Bird Care to oversee the non-releasable bird program. This position is part-time and will coordinate all the schedules, care, handling opportunities, and communications.Essential Functions:
- Coordinate JJAC's non-releasable bird program which includes direct animal care, as well as communication with volunteers.
- Maintain Google Bird Program document and produce weekly email update for volunteers. Information will include health status of each bird, feeding/cleaning schedule, handling opportunities, track concerns/issues, and general program updates.
- Coordinate weekly weighing of all animals.
- Check the animal care check sheet weekly in the enclosure to identify any issues/concerns.
- Train or schedule training for new volunteers on proper methods of cleaning, feeding, and handling birds.
- Organize and order animal care supplies including keeping stock of frozen mice.
- Assist in basic medical care when animals are sick.
- Work with Center management to maintain permits held by PA Game Commission and US Fish and Wildlife.
- Create and/or maintain orientation documents for new volunteers, written guidelines to cleaning/feeding, presentation tips and other information useful to the program's success.
- Conduct monthly ZOOM or in person trainings/meetings with all volunteers to increase their knowledge in the bird program.
- Provide regular updates to Center management regarding any issues, emergencies or concerns involving the birds.
- Provide bird programming to visitors, general public, and schools both onsite and offsite.
- 3 - 5 years prior bird care (husbandry, care and training) experience and 3-5 years teaching experience, preferably in a non-formal/informal setting.
- Sub-permittee of the PA Game Commission Wildlife Menagerie permit for over 3 years.
- Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills to be able to actively foster constructive attitudes and positively participate in a team environment.
- Enthusiasm for mentoring and training other volunteers.
- Communicate effectively with supervisor and colleagues, both written and orally. Comfortable with public speaking and interacting with the public on an informal basis required.
- Demonstrate computer proficiency to complete the functions of this position.
- Must be willing to fully support the Audubon.
This position is represented by the Communications Workers of America (CWA).EEO Statement: