Public Engagement Manager - Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Region
Apex Clean Energy
Washington, DC, United States
15 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking an energetic and action-oriented Public Engagement Manager to help craft, develop, execute, and manage Apex’s public support- building campaigns for projects in our PJM East/Northeast/Mid-Atlantic portfolio, including media relations, communications, community relations, and grassroots advocacy. The Public Engagement Manager may also help manage Apex’s strategic partnerships, organizational memberships, and coalition memberships at the local, state and/or regional level.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. The Public Engagement Manager position requires excellent communication and writing skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. Our ideal candidate has demonstrated work experience crafting and executing community-engaging issue-based or political grassroots campaign plans that involve a multitude of internal and external stakeholders. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Public Affairs
- Travel: 30%-50%
- Office Location: Charlottesville, VA is ideal but remote work may be an option for the ideal candidate located in the region.
- Develop and Lead Local Support Campaigns, including developing and executing strategies for identifying local wind and solar energy supporters, activating those individuals to engage locally, building relationships with local elected officials, building relationships with the local media, articulating compelling key messages about our projects, and maintaining a positive presence for Apex in the communities where we work. Maintaining and building strong contact database for projects.
- Cultivate Media Relations, including developing relationships with media reporting on Apex or its projects, developing responses to media inquiries, developing and distributing local press releases, preparing Apex spokespeople for media speaking opportunities.
- Manage External Communications, including helping to maintain and update project- specific websites, and managing project Facebook strategies, including content-development and tracking.
- Own the Messaging surrounding the project, including developing compelling messaging and positioning statements for local projects.
- Drive Teamwork and Coordinating with counterparts on the Apex development team to effectively plan and execute local support campaigns.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in public relations, communications, political science, or a related field
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working in public affairs, public relations, communications, community organizing, or campaign management.
- Experience designing and executing effective grassroots campaigns, whether political or issue based. Experience working in the Southeast and/or Western states, preferred.
- Demonstrable ability to design and concisely document a detailed campaign plan
- Demonstrated experience working both as a lead and as support on cross-departmental teams
- Familiarity and experience working with common campaign tactics such as direct mail, radio/newspaper advertising, door-to-door canvassing, GOTV efforts, and social media advertising
- Facility and skill in working with media to build productive relationships and produce positive press
- Comfort and skill engaging with different types of people in rural parts of the U.S., including local elected officials, community leaders, and members of the public
- Comfort and skill with de-escalating potential confrontations with individuals or groups that are opposed to wind energy or similar issue-based campaign
- Experience building and executing effective social media campaigns that drive engagement
- Ability to lead collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues and earn buy-in from team members
- Experience managing field organizers or in-county support staff
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work proactively and productively with limited supervision
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Design Suite, and familiarity with web-based content management systems (i.e. WordPress, Drupal, Perch, etc.). Ideally, familiarity with the NationBuilder campaign platform
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- Professional appearance and manner
- High attention to detail
- Up to 40% travel to project sites required focused mostly on projects in the Southeastern and Western area of the United States
- Willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or our satellite office in Lake Elmo, MN (post COVID-19). Remote work considered for the right candidate in or near a related project area
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved
Works primarily traditional office hours in remote office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.