New Markets Project Analyst, Western Markets
Apex Clean Energy
Portland, OR, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy develops, constructs, and operates utility-scale wind and solar power facilities across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 renewable energy experts uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information on how Apex is leading the transition to a clean energy future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
We are seeking a New Markets Project Analyst, Western Markets to manage the vetting and evaluation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage projects primarily located in the Western region of the United States. In this role, you will be directly responsible for the detailed fatal-flaw analysis and screening of wind, solar and storage projects from start to finish; providing detailed analysis and insights that help support portfolio decisions.
In this role, you'll collaborate our internal teams at the different stages of diligence to ensure that the projects we choose to develop are the most compelling, most likely to succeed, and most competitive projects possible. The role requires extensive research and analysis, strong strategic communication, presentation, and technical skill. The ability to form, write, and present a coherent argument using research and fact-based opinions following detailed analysis is key. A thorough understanding of the wind, solar and storage energy markets as well as federal environmental permitting in the Western region is required through prior experience in project development, project analysis, and/or project finance focused in WECC.
Our ideal candidate will come into this role with at least 3 years of directly related experience as well as a passion for renewable energy. This position requires a strong understanding of project management, organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines. This role collaborates extensively with colleagues and works in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines. Finally, and most importantly, our ideal candidate is a tenacious problem solver who realizes the importance of persistence and leaves no stone unturned.
- Manage and lead extensive utility-scale renewable energy project evaluation and diligence from resource, environmental, permitting, land, constructability, cost, community receptivity and transmission fatal flaw perspectives
- Collaborate internally to discover and vet new opportunities
- Create initial project budget, schedule and proforma
- Create detailed local, state and federal permitting schedules
- Develop initial community engagement and outreach strategies in collaboration with our Public Affairs Team
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication at all stages of the project evaluation
- Responsible for smooth collaboration between the different internal departments
- Manage third-party diligence consultants
- Travel 10-20% to project site locations
To succeed as a New Markets Project Analyst, Western Region at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in business, environmental science, or engineering preferred
- At least 3 years of directly related experience in project analysis, project development, policy analysis, and/or project finance focused in WECC markets
- Direct experience with NEPA, BLM, NFS and the federal permitting process focused in the WECC region
- Intimate knowledge of the utility-scale renewable energy project development process
- Strong understanding of transmission interconnection and project engineering
- Working knowledge of project financial models
- Proven ability in strategic communications
- Extensive energy markets research
- Confirmed ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong organization skills and ability to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to manage and track multiple detailed projects simultaneously and complete tasks efficiently
- Articulate with the ability to conduct management, client and public presentations
- Strong computer and internet skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Extensive experience with ArcGIS, PowerPoint and/or Smartsheet strongly preferred
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer. No sponsorship is available for this position.
- Willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA. Remote work for the right candidate will be considered.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
- A mission-driven, energetic environment
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.