Development Manager, West
Apex Clean Energy
Denver, CO, United States
13 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
At the direction of the Regional Director of Development, the Development Manager will manage activities surrounding the procurement, management, and oversight of both external and internal resources required to develop utility-scale solar and storage energy projects in the Western region of the United States (predominately Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada). In this role, you must possess the experience and skills required to lead multi-million-dollar infrastructure projects, preferably related to renewable energy projects. The position’s work scope will encompass the entire life cycle of a project from early-stage development to construction.
Our ideal candidate will come into this role with a genuine passion for renewable energy, education in a related field, and at least 3 years of utility-scale renewable energy project development experience. Our ideal candidate has a solid track record of exemplary teamwork and enjoys working on a dynamic and diverse cross-departmental team. You understand how to drive projects through key development milestones and can do so largely independently. You have extensive experience with commercial leasing in the Western United States and have demonstrable success building professional rapport with landowners, community members, and all stakeholders. You can interpret the technical intricacies of a project, are proficient at negotiating contracts, and have no problem organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines for large multi-faceted projects. Our ideal candidate is a personable self-starter who loves to be involved in the project and field work, seizes the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues, and thrives in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines.
In this role, you will lead community and client relationships throughout the development process, and you'll work together with our internal teams at every stage to help us successfully get our projects across the finish line. In addition to strategic project management and demonstrated technical acumen, the ideal candidate will have the ability to effectively communicate with a high level of precision and integrity to internal and external stakeholders presenting coherent arguments using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed research and analysis. The intended geographical region that this position will be developing projects includes the Western region of the United States and predominately Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada.
The Development Manager is responsible for overseeing the lifecycle of the implementation of renewable energy projects. This includes:
- Manage and lead the development process of utility-scale solar and/or storage energy projects in the Southwestern United States
- Represent Apex with federal, state and local officials, regulators, utilities, RTOs, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process
- Oversee and manage state, federal, and local permitting efforts and approval processes for utility-scale electric generation projects
- Manage the preparation and delivery of permitting documentation
- Interpret technical engineering and environmental reports and studies to determine project impact and pertinence towards application requirements
- Provide reports to management including updates on project status and changes to regulations
- Manage project financial models, project design and generation interconnection activities
- Lead landowner lease negotiations and relationships in projects involving large numbers of landowners
- Help to coordinate the project interconnection process
- Compilation and analysis of data for project stakeholders and partners
- Organize and supervise project budget, schedule and proforma
- Support the negotiation of power purchase and asset agreements
- Develop and execute project marketing strategy in close collaboration with our Public Affairs Team
- Oversee project consultants: environmental, engineering, transmission, etc.
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication and smooth collaboration at all stages of the project development process
- Travel to project site locations and attend stakeholder meetings
To succeed as a Development Manager at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to display excellence within the following criteria:
- Undergraduate degree in development related field with a strong academic record
- 3+ years of project development experience; direct utility-scale solar and/or storage development experience strongly preferred
- Solid track record in project management and contract negotiations
- Knowledge of commercial solar & energy storage markets
- Understanding of renewable energy financing options and project financial models
- Experience with county, state, and federal permitting processes. Experience with such processes in the Western region strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with FLPMA and NEPA processes and procedures for federal lands development is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams while earning buy-in from team members to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of projects
- Experience managing land agents and/or independent contractors
- Strong organization skills and ability to handle time to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong work ethic and ability to productively take ownership of projects while communicating collaboratively throughout the project’s life cycle
- Adept at problem-solving
- Articulate with the ability to lead and assist with management, client, and public presentations
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of safety, honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity.
- Willing and able to travel 40% to the Southwest region of the United States
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer. No sponsorship is available for this position.
- Willing to live and work in the Western region of the United States (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, or Nevada).
What Apex Can Offer You
- A mission-driven, energetic environment
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.