Wind Resource Analyst
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking an analytical and action-oriented Wind Energy Analyst to support Apex Clean Energy’s portfolio of utility-scale wind development projects. This position will report directly to the Manager of Resource Assessment and is part of a small, collaborative, entrepreneurial team. The Wind Energy Analyst will be responsible for analyzing meteorological data, energy production and operational data and utilizing that information to prepare energy analyses, project designs, and general guidance to inform and optimize development, financing, construction, and operation of Wind Power Projects. The Wind Energy Analyst will work within the Technology Department on the Resource Assessment Team and interact with multiple disciplines in the company to ensure relevant data and analysis drives decision making and overall project quality. The candidate for this position should be adaptable and capable of working with an energetic team of professionals and should be familiar with basic principles of wind energy assessment.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can support projects from a variety of viewpoints. The Energy Analyst position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and have the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
Your primary responsibilities in this role will include:
- Wind energy assessment, plant design, and optimization to support the technical needs of projects in development, financing, construction and operation.
- Secure, assimilate, and synthesize on-site measurement data to conduct accurate resource and energy assessments.
- Optimize and model utility-scale wind energy plant models in Openwind to produce energy predictions.
- Analyze and apply losses and uncertainty estimates for plant production estimates.
- Coordinate and evaluate consultants and independent engineers on 3rd party assessments as needed and to support financing or diligence from counterparties.
- Occasional travel to project sites to conduct in field micro-siting.
- Support Asset Management in analysis and understanding of operating wind plant performance relative to pre-construction energy estimates.
To succeed as a Wind Energy Analyst at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering, Atmospheric Science, Statistics, Physics, or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated professional experience with Windographer, Openwind, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and review code in Python
- Experience with databases and general understanding of information technology and database design
- Knowledge, both technical and commercial, of how renewable energy assets are developed, constructed, operated, and financed
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to solve scientific and technical problems is required
- Demonstrated ability to work across cultures, business units, and with external parties to influence people and drive change in the best interest of Apex Clean Energy and our projects is required
- Strong communication skills in both verbal and written form are required
- Professional appearance and manner
- High attention to detail and commitment to customer service
- Must be willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA (post COVID-19).
- Remote work may be approved for the right candidate.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required upon employment
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.