Wetlands Permitting Manager
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a professional and experienced Wetland Permitting Manager to inform, plan, and execute strategic project decisions around permitting risk, management of wetland and waters permitting applications, mitigation strategies, and overall regulatory compliance for our portfolio of renewable energy projects across the United States. This role will provide expertise and consulting services to both internal and external stakeholders. A passion for renewable energy is a must! This position is part of a dynamic and collaborative team. But we can’t do it without YOU! To help us meet our goals we are looking to hire a Wetland Permitting Manager to join our family! If any of the below describes you, we would love to speak with you!
- Perform as the lead permitting manager for any wetland, stream, and/or surface water permitting associated with relevant local, state, or federal applications. In addition to oversight of third-party consultant field work which primarily include wetland, stream, and waters delineations, and rare, sensitive, threatened, and endangered terrestrial and botanical species habitat assessments, evaluations, and protocol level surveys
- Conduct technical review and QA/QC of third-party consultant field survey reports and permit applications
- Implement permitting risk analysis and strategies to find the most cost-effective wetland mitigation and stream restoration designs
- Communicating with primary environmental permitting manager for project needs related to wetland database reviews, field work, and permitting
- Lead regulatory agency consultations for all relevant wetland, stream and waters permitting applications
- Track Clean Water Act regulatory updates and relay relevant updates and associated risks across the portfolio to the environmental team and other departments across Apex as applicable
- Support the Permitting Group with state and local regulations related to wetlands and streams
To succeed as a Wetlands Permitting Manager at Apex Clean Energy you will need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in Wetland Science, Wildlife Biology, Hydrology, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Civil Engineering, Environmental Law, or related and master’s degree is preferred
- Professional Wetland Scientist credential preferred
- Experience with preparation and execution of Federal, State, and Local permit wetland, stream, surface water applications & regulations, ordinances, and acts. •
- 10+ years of demonstrable success obtaining Clean Water Act Nationwide and Individual Permits and corresponding NEPA Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements and Local and State wetland permits through a range of project types and across several states
- Significant experience performing wetland and stream delineations as well as rare, sensitive, threatened, and endangered species surveys specific to wetlands, streams, and corresponding habitats
- Excellent analytical, strong written, data evaluation, judgment, and problem-solving capabilities to ensure compliance with relevant state/federal regulations and project-specific requirements.
- Strong ability to work independently as well as part of a multidisciplinary team of permitting specialists
- Capability managing contractors and/or independent contractors and providing communication throughout the life cycle process
- Strong organization skills and ability to multitask with changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Articulate with the ability to lead and assist with management, client, agency, and public presentations
- Willing and able to travel 10-20% to project sites and agency meetings around the United States
- Candidates may work remotely from an area near or accessible to our project sites and/or from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA, or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN.
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in remote office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.