Transmission Planning Summer Associate (Intern)
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
28 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Transmission team is looking for individuals passionate about renewable energy and with a keen interest to learn about the industry and help Apex accelerate the shift to clean energy. We are seeking a Transmission Analytics Summer Associate to provide power system modeling and analytics support for the interconnection and operation of utility-scale renewable energy and storage projects within designated regions of North America.
Reporting to the Vice President of Transmission, and working closely with senior engineers and analysts, this role will be working to support Apex’s optimum strategy for interconnecting renewable energy projects through assessing and analyzing various interconnection elements.
The ideal candidate displays strong quantitative and research skills and is motivated by working in a challenging and dynamic environment. The candidate should also have an advanced understanding of power system theory including load flow and transfer capability along with a theoretical knowledge of economic dispatch and electricity markets.
- Performs power system steady state modeling and power flow analysis within different markets to identify areas with available interconnection capability.
- Provide support in transmission related analytics towards greenfield development as well as Apex’s existing portfolio of projects.
- Run analysis to foster a deep understanding of nodal pricing components of energy, congestion, and marginal losses as well as physical losses to support offtake.
- Provide support in reviewing satellite imagery to estimate substation expansion costs.
- Create and maintain automation scripts to support the transmission analytics team.
- Determine optimum strategy for interconnecting the project output to the electric grid based on curtailment potential, interconnection costs, system impact assessments, real-time energy pricing, and market delivery options.
- Assess the technical and commercial feasibility for interconnection and delivery options proposed for third-party projects that Apex acquires or provides diligence towards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (master’s degree preferred)
- Basic understanding of the North American electric utility industry. Knowledge of the regional electricity markets preferred.
- Relevant coursework in power system operation and control, energy economics and electrical transmission systems preferred. Advanced understanding of linear sensitivity factors, power system transaction management and economic dispatch through coursework or work experience.
- Basic understanding of one or more power systems analysis tools (PowerWorld, PSS/E, TARA, PSLF or related).
- Python, SQL, Excel VBA programming preferred.
- Proven ability to be a creative thinker and devise winning strategies on complex issues
- Ability to communicate effectively in both commercial and technical venues on a stand-alone basis
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
- The summer associate program will run from June 5 through August 11 but we can be flexible with the start and end dates
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Non-Exempt
- Paid Internship: Undergrad $15/Hour; Grad $25/Hour
- Office Location: Our Charlottesville, VA headquarters
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.