Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Administration team is seeking a Systems Administrator to join the Information Technology team and play a key role as we securely, reliably, and professionally support the broader organization. In this role, you will be responsible for maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, servers, network architecture, and virtualization with an emphasis on security. By providing support to the team, the Systems Administrator will play a key role in designing, deploying, and maintaining both corporate and renewable energy site architectures.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Information Technology, our candidate brings a passionate interest in technology – the final frontier. To explore strange new architectures. To seek out new concepts and approaches. And to boldly deploy where no technology has gone before.
The Systems Administrator requires understanding of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols. The successful candidate will be organized, with solid analytical skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to synthesize and conceptualize complex ideas.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Administration
- Travel: 10%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, servers, network architecture, and virtualization with an emphasis on security
Install and upgrade computer components and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes
Troubleshoot hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing impact of issues
Provide documentation and technical specifications to IT staff for planning and implementing new or upgrades of IT infrastructure
Perform or delegate regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures
Provide tier 2 helpdesk support, making sure all desktop applications, workstations, and related equipment problems are resolved in a timely manner with limited disruptions
Responsible for capacity, storage planning, and database performance management
10% travel to project sites
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, System Administration, or a closely related field, or equivalent experience required
At least 2-3 years of database, network administration, or system administration experience
System administration and IT certifications in Linux, Microsoft, or other network related fields are a plus
Working knowledge of virtualization, VMWare, and cloud services
Strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols
Experience with scripting and automation tools
A proven track record of developing and implementing IT strategy and plans
Strong knowledge of implementing and effectively developing helpdesk and IT operations best practices, including expert knowledge of security, storage, data protection, and disaster recovery protocols
Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.