Solar Project Manager
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Solar Project Manager will be responsible for the development, planning, and execution of utility-scale solar PV projects ranging in size between 10MWac and 300MWac. Reporting to the Director of Solar Project Management, and in collaboration with the development, business management, and several other functional departments, the Project Manager will provide immediate project management leadership of multiple solar projects by establishing and monitoring performance metrics, project schedules, risk profiles, and cost performance of the projects in accordance with company systems and practices. This is an exciting opportunity to continue to elevate Apex’s reputation a leader within the solar industry, amplify project efforts, and help realize projects.
In this position, you will manage multiple solar projects with competing deadlines and resources. Our ideal candidate will have extensive experience managing contract requirements, client relations, project deliverable requirements, as well as establishing and monitoring performance metrics, project schedules, risk profiles, and cost-performances. The candidate for this position should be collaborative and capable of working in a fast-paced environment and should be familiar with project management techniques and software such as cost systems, MS-Project, and Primavera.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. This position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and be flexible about shifting priorities. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Project Management
- Travel: 20-30%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or our satellite office near Minneapolis, MN
- Manage the development, planning, and execution of operational utility-scale solar projects according to design requirements within established timeframe.
- Manage contract requirements, client relations, and project deliverables.
- Manage overall project budget and expenses for delivering profit margins at or above expectations while also balancing project quality.
- Establish and monitor performance metrics, project schedules, risk profiles, and cost performance of the project in accordance with company systems.
- Manage all aspects of the project including the planning/reporting process, management of third-party vendors and contracts, meeting external standards and certification requirements, as well as detailed field logistics.
- Manage third party integrator and main supplier through engineering, construction and into initial operation.
- Provide steady and reliable communication throughout project lifecycle while also managing complicated schedules, budgets, people, risks, and other resources.
- Engage with and foster relationships with the various internal and external project stakeholders as Apex’s primary contact for the project duration.
- Create and foster continuous improvement between internal teams, utilizing tools and following company process where directed.
- Lead recurring project management meetings to effectively communicate project progress and expectations to all stakeholders in a timely and clear manner.
- Support periodic project updates and reporting to senior managers through preparation of project status and budget reports.
- Lead on-time material and subcontractor procurement for each project per Apex’s standards giving special attention to safety, value, and quality.
- Develop, maintain and ensure consistent best practices for jobsite safety, quality, and subcontractor management.
- Ensure high work quality and safe work practices at all times during the projects.
- Drive compliance with all internal company policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required; construction management or engineering preferred.
- Advanced degree, MBA, and/or PMP Certification preferred
- Minimum 5 years of engineering, construction and/or technical project management experience.
- Familiarity with utility scale solar field construction and solar project development. Demonstrated track record of success in utility-scale solar project management, preferred.
- Working knowledge of engineering design, procurement, and construction practices and procedures.
- Demonstrated success in working on multiple concurrent projects.
- Ability to prepare detailed documentation in support of project activities in document or presentation form.
- Working knowledge of the standardized project management processes and tools.
- Working knowledge of project scheduling concepts, techniques, and software such as MS-Project and/or Primavera.
- Strong attention to detail with a high level of integrity and organizational capacity to manage multiple projects.
- Strong track record of successful collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Creative problem-solving skills matched with strength in executing under pressure and with continuous change.
- A proven ability to provide efficient, timely, and reliable service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Self-motivated with proven ability to take ownership, initiative, and accountability.
- Advanced knowledge of safety and relevant OSHA requirements and regulations.
- Tangible experience managing projects to achieve positive cash flow. Understanding of financial models and management of budgeting cash flow. Experience with project accounting and project management software systems.
- Experience with EPC contracts from ground up, resulting in profitable construction projects.
- Must possess strong quantitative analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with MS Office and Windows.
- Willingness to travel 20-30%.
- The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia (and/or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.)
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.